Heater Reliability

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Piratepete
80-90 Mem No: 17272

Heater Reliability

Post by Piratepete »

Hi Guys
I've had a response in Wanted for a gas heater for my 1990 T25.

The offer is for a Truma heater. Is Truma reliable compared with say Propex? Are there any other makes that I should consider or avoid?

Cheers!

Pete

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Heater Reliability

Post by Aidan »

If you are looking at old used units then how old and what condition and availability of service parts are the things to consider, cheap untested, or broken should probably be avoided, missing parts can be expensive or impossible to find, caravan breakers generally won't offer much if any warranty and some may not be suitable for our vehicles, look at the space they require and what space you have in the vehicle for fitting. Generally a propex needs an inch of clear space around the unit, floor mounted with combustion inlet and exhaust pipes straight through the floor with pipes under the van, and ideally short runs for the air inlet and hot air outlet pipes to get the best efficiency
Propex are UK brand with really excellent support, you can ring them up for help, and send units into them for factory service at pretty reasonable cost, though some of their oldest units are no longer repairable as parts nla or upgradable to later spec so they can't fix them safely and the same doubtless will apply to other makes
Sometimes getting new and taking up one of the many sales offers is the best value for money route