Shurflo pumps

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VeraPedroMariaWang
80-90 Mem No: 16998

Shurflo pumps

Post by VeraPedroMariaWang »

Hi,
Anybody got any experience of Shurflo water pumps? The van came with a Whale pump and the bearings have finally given up so need to replace,looking online a replacement Whale is over £100. I can get a similar Shurflo pump for £49 but was wondering if they are any good? Are they really loud?

I know there are cheaper Chinese ones available but worried they will be LOUD and probably not last as long. Not sure if the Whale pump was original but if it was then they are good value but it’s still over £100 and if the Shurflo does the same job for half price it would be silly not too. Thanks :ok
Autosleeper 1.9dg

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Re: Shurflo pumps

Post by patrickpawsey »

I've had Shurflo pumps on a narrowboat for years, and they were generally reliable. It tends to be the pressure micro switch that goes on them, at least in a permanently pressurised system, but i would expect 5-10 years or of them.
Whale i only had as a shower pump (removing shower water to the cut) but it did work very well.
Can you let me know what pump modern your thinking about and I'll see if anything else springs to mind?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

I had an old sureflo pump in the van for a while, it was very noisy and it seized eventually but it was OLD.
I'd hope new ones would be better.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

VeraPedroMariaWang

Hi,
One for one against! :D my old Whale pump was just like your Shurflo bigbadbob76 loud and the bearings seized solid,no idea how old it was but for the price of a new one I’d be disappointed if it was as loud as my old one.
Was talking to a friend today and he’s just installed this one on his boat
Shurflo Water Pump 20psi 12V 1.4 Bar Automatic On Demand Pump
It’s same one I was looking at, he has heard my old one and says the Shurflo is quieter so I think that’s the one I’m going for. Thanks for the replies :ok

Patrickpawsey whereabouts in Oxford are you? I was born and raised in Oxford, moved to Banbury about 10 years ago due to the extortionate house prices but am back in Headington/cowley quite often. Only found out yesterday temple cowley pool closed 4 years ago! Part of my childhood gone! I remember queuing to get in on opening day!
Thanks again
Autosleeper 1.9dg

patrickpawsey

Post by patrickpawsey »

Yes it's a great shame about temple Cowley pool! I was born and raised in north Oxford, moved to the centre in my teens then out east and now Littlemore because of house prices and space for the family. Oh and 5 years on a boat in Wolvercote in the middle!
Let me know if your ever in the area and i can give you the t25 tour of the area - 4 and counting!
Hope the pump stays quiet, we found a new one had a pretty well behaved life.

VeraPedroMariaWang

Hi Patrick,
I used to ride my bike through Littlemore to get to Sanford to go fishing, is the hospital still there? Remember being freaked out a couple of times by the day release patients! They were scary as a kid :) I skipped school once for the first day of fishing, fishing off of Wolvercote bridge when my teacher drove past and beeped :D
I’m in Oxford again next month and would love to take the tour if your up for it, I’ll pm you closer to the time to see if we can sort something out?
Thanks
Simon.
Autosleeper 1.9dg

patrickpawsey

Post by patrickpawsey »

Yes there is still the mental hospital, though it might be on the other side of the road now (the original Victorian buildings are now variously expensive flats and an audio/video college).
We're out and about on and off over the summer but let me know when you're in Oxford and we'll see if we can work out a time.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I just replaced the original Shureflo Viking (branded Autosleepers) on my 2001 van. It lasted 18 years, and just gave up last week. Got a replacement off Amazon for £50 delivered. It's uprated from 16 to 20 psi, but otherwise identical. It works better than the original, more pressure at the tap (as you'd expect), but also quieter. I'm very satisfied with it.

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Good tip, when I asked about fresh water pumps before nobody had much to say.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

VeraPedroMariaWang

Well, I ordered the pump that I said I would the same day I said it but I’ve only just got around to fitting it this morning, I assume it’s the same/similar as the one ajsimmo has its 20 psi and cost me £50. It’s so much better,more pressure at the tap (obviously) but the best bit is it’s practically silent. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a new pump.

Patrick I’m in Oxford this afternoon bit short notice I know but if your about text the mobile number you have and we can see if we can arrange something.
How are you getting on with the carb? Hopefully it’s working ok and getting you by. :ok
Autosleeper 1.9dg

patrickpawsey

Post by patrickpawsey »

Sorry I only just saw this! Thanks for the carb, I'm just looking into whether i have a spare auto choke as i need to send that off as well to Bromyard.
Don't know if there's a way to run without the choke?

VeraPedroMariaWang

I’ll check in the shed I think I got one. Won’t be till tomorrow now, I’ll let you know.
Autosleeper 1.9dg

patrickpawsey

Post by patrickpawsey »

Thanks, I really appreciate it!