Underslung lpg tank

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TommymacT2589
80-90 Mem No: 0

Underslung lpg tank

Post by TommymacT2589 »

Hi all newbi here
I've recently purchased a 89 t25 high top autosleeper, with a 6 month trip around Europe planned for this year ( with the Mrs two kids n the dog crazy I know)
Anyway I've been trying to see if switching from gas bottles to a underslung gas tan is possible and how easy of a job it is. With limited skills when it comes to gas id prefer to have it done by someone who's knows what there doing rather than me blowing up the van with me doing it.
Pros and cons would be gratefully appreciated
I live in the north west so if anyone knows of anyone who can do this that would be great
1989 2.1 autosleeper hightop

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Underslung lpg tank

Post by Mocki »

Afternoon, quite simply , buy a ex-westy underslung tank ( try Mick @nwvw) and pipe it to your existing gas manifold , and delight in the extra space inside and try not to cry when you think of how much you have been paying for 2litres of lpg in a bottle as you put 12litres in the inderslung tank for about £6

There will be some that worry on about westy tanks being too old and TUVs, take no notice , the tank themselves are made of 6mm thick steel that has for all its life been kept coated in oil on the inside of the tank , so any surface rust on the outside , Is just that , surface rust .

The actual plumbing is basic common sense , but if you are in doubt , get someone competent to do it for you
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

We have an ex-Westfailure one fitted by myself and a chum who is/was a gas fitter. One of the very best improvements we've made to the van ... especially when touring in Europe as you can fill up at any GPL station so long as you have the relevant adaptor.

Fitting it yourself would not be beyond the wit of man, extra care, a suitable regulator and isolator on the tank and a manifold inside the van, 8mm copper pipe and compression fittings. Otherwise google gas fitter in your area ... I would have said Steve at Gasure but sadly he's no longer with us. Does his loyal man servant John do gas now alongside his servicing ?

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
I changed my underslung tank last year. The straps were nearly rusted through and 'your supposed to get the tanks 10 year tested' . Inside it was probably ok but a bit rusty outside so I changed it. No local testers and costly anyway.
New tank from Tinley Tech, who are very helpful, fitted with 3 straps as your supposed to have now. Two people will make the job easier and the gas fitting is much like plumbing. You will have to fit a filler point and then you have a copper pipe from there to one end of the tank. The other end of the tank will need a pipe to your existing fittings ie cooker/ fridge/ heater.
Have a look on the Autogas web site you might find someone local who can fit. Caravan/Motorhome dealers/garages might be able to help.
Any other queries just get back to me.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Westy tanks don’t have straps , they have a built in cradle made of 12mm steel and are designed to fit under a t25 floor between the chassis rails and the filler is built in .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

We found it difficult to get gas in some countries,. Spain we we ended up buying a bottle and camping gaz in other countries. That was about 15 years ago so might be different now.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior