Propex options... inside or out?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mr_nunn
80-90 Mem No: 14273

Propex options... inside or out?

Post by mr_nunn »

Hi all.

I currently have a defunct Eberspacher B2L, so no heat.

I am looking to replace with a modern 2kw Propex, but am dithering about the best way:

1) Propex HS2000 under the bench seat as seems to be commonly done - but I'll lose some storage and we use that space for camping chairs/table so worried that things could get a bit tight. With this option I could leave the old Eber be, or remove at leisure later.

2) Remove the existing Eberspacher and fit a Propex HS2211 external (costs £100 more) in the same spot under the van.
- I'm not sure what I'll find when I take the Eber off but presumably there are already holes for ducting so am wondering if I can reuse these for routing the Propex ducting inside??
- Outside seems a great idea - quieter and no loss of storage, but a more expensive option and unless the existing Eber holes could be used it could mean cutting more holes for the ducting.

3) I think somewhere I've seen it suggested that a standard Propex may fit inside the old Eber casing - anyone tried this - could the old Eber casing be used to protect the HS2000 so that I could get the cheaper unit but still run it outside??

Over to the experts.

Thanks for any thoughts!
1981 2.0L CU Westfalia pop-top

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Re: Propex options... inside or out?

Post by nicq »

The biggest problem gas freezes at a higher temp, so not a good idea outside.
2.1 Twin slider

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Unless you camp in severe cold I'd think cold gas issues should not be a problem.

Carefully remove old heater, photograph and post what you have before deciding.

OBG can probably fix your old heater which is an option too (but it needs removing whatever you do)
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

Autohomes fitted my Propex under the van, despite the warning label says not for external fitting. It lasted about 30 years though ;)

2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Propex now make one designed to go outside.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Seems a no brainer to me = get OBG to fix the Eber = a lot easier and a lot cheaper :ok

Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

mr_nunn

Post by mr_nunn »

Hi thanks for the thoughts so far.

nicq - cold gas shouldn't be a problem as I'll be using a refillable LPG bottle and I believe the LPG is mostly or entirely propane; I do not intend to camp anywhere cold enough to liquify propane!

boxy - wow! I wouldn't put a standard one outside with no protective box but impressed it lasted so long!

itchy - will try and get the old Eber off during the hols and see what the layout is, and will post if I can get any useful pics.

shepster - yes the HS2211 I referred to in the original post is the one that's designed for outside - BUT £100 more expensive

itchy & ghost - I had given up on getting the Eber fixed. Andrew at Campershak had a go and checked the fuel lines etc, but couldn't get it going; though he didn't claim to be an expert on the ins and outs of the heaters themselves. OBG posted the message below in his Guinea Pig thread, so I assumed he wouldn't be up for taking it on, but OBG please let me know if that may be an option.

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Sorry, Eberspächers are off the menu. I have parts/spares for the Webasto air heaters only so I don't take them on. Gaskets are easy enough to make but the spares situation for the older models is dire. Most are at end of life point now. Heat exchangers are supposed to be replaced after 10 years but are usually perfectly serviceable in most cases due to the low usage that heaters tend to get in campers compared to ones in trucks, buses etc which can get near continuous use for 9 months of the year.
Eberspächers are horrible beasts to work on! :lol: They have stopped making a small petrol air heater also....

mr_nunn

Post by mr_nunn »

Hi thanks for the thoughts so far.

nicq - cold gas shouldn't be a problem as I'll be using a refillable LPG bottle and I believe the LPG is mostly or entirely propane; I do not intend to camp anywhere cold enough to liquify propane!

boxy - wow! I wouldn't put a standard one outside with no protective box but impressed it lasted so long!

itchy - will try and get the old Eber off during the hols and see what the layout is, and will post if I can get any useful pics.

shepster - yes the HS2211 I referred to in the original post is the one that's designed for outside - BUT £100 more expensive

itchy & ghost - I had given up on getting the Eber fixed. Andrew at Campershak had a go and checked the fuel lines etc, but couldn't get it going; though he didn't claim to be an expert on the ins and outs of the heaters themselves. OBG posted the message below in his Guinea Pig thread, so I assumed he wouldn't be up for taking it on, but OBG please let me know if that may be an option.

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Sorry, Eberspächers are off the menu. I have parts/spares for the Webasto air heaters only so I don't take them on. Gaskets are easy enough to make but the spares situation for the older models is dire. Most are at end of life point now. Heat exchangers are supposed to be replaced after 10 years but are usually perfectly serviceable in most cases due to the low usage that heaters tend to get in campers compared to ones in trucks, buses etc which can get near continuous use for 9 months of the year.
Eberspächers are horrible beasts to work on! :lol: They have stopped making a small petrol air heater also....

mr_nunn

Post by mr_nunn »

Thought I would update this as I finally finished this install off (just in time for the weather to start warming up!)

I ended up getting the HS2000 and with a little bit of bending and grinding managed to fit it inside the casing from the original Eber, so it is outside the van but protected. Also installed a 6kg gaslow refillable lpg tank with external fill point, in place of the old Calor butane cylinder. I'm pleased with the result. The heater ducting comes into the van under the bench seat as with the original heater (I routed the 60mm Propex ducting inside the original 100mm Eber ducting, so no new holes at all needed). Inside, the only space taken up is a little corner under the bench for the ducting, which I've covered over with a little wooden box for protection, so it means the storage is pretty much unaffected and we can still get our table and chairs etc under there. The HS2000 was about £430 I think from JK plus a further 12% off in the form of a voucher (their "winter rebate" offer) so a fair bit cheaper than the HS2211 that is designed for outside. The only thing I would mention as a caveat is that the burner air inlet and outlet on the HS2000 protrude from the bottom of the unit. This means that placed like I have done in the Eber box (which is already under the van), it could be on the edge of coming down a little low, if your van is lowered at all. Mine seems ok though I feel like it still has enough clearance. (I had my van un-lowered by Campershack last year to improve the ride). The other thing is that the Propex unit itself is not massively accessible so I'm hoping it doesn't develop any faults! I did cut a hole in the casing so that the gas connection can easily be checked every so often though.

It has been a bitty couple of months trying to do it in the odd hour here and there between work/kids etc and was my first major DIY undertaking on the van. So all in all a bit of a slow process.. None of the install was rocket science but definitely a bit faffy for a novice and needed to pick up various tools i didn't have e.g. holesaws etc. Scariest part was cutting a hole in the side for the gaslow fill point - yikes!

Ok here are some pics:

Propex in old Eber casing

Inspection hole for gas connection (have just covered this with aluminium tape for now):

Holes in base for combustion air in/out:

Ready to go back on van

Back in place:

Ducting under bench seat - only takes up a little corner:

Boxed in:

Still plenty of storage for our table and chairs etc:

Heater outlet above the old Eber one:

Finally the Gaslow fill point:

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

put a grommet in the hole with the cable coming through :wink: otherwise sound soloution
mm

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

lookin good Krishnan :ok
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

moojw
80-90 Mem No: 6087

Post by moojw »

Hi all, it mentions earlier in this post to get OBG to repair the Eberspacher, I've an underslung unit that was on the van and wondered if there's anyone about that knows about these systems, it may well work, i've now got the controls for next to the steering wheel under the dash, but not too experienced in these units, i'm in London and wondered if there's any help about
Member No. 6087
1985 1.9DG
Don't follow the path, go where there's no path and leave a trail...