Rotational 'knocking' in rear

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Rotational 'knocking' in rear

Postby Gary. » 30 Dec 2019, 10:51

After months of flawless reliability I have just had a knocking start from the rear in the last few days. Culprit I think is CV joints, but I thought I'd check opinion on here...

So I get an intermittent, but consistent knocking from rear offside when turning right.

When in reverse and steering, it's a loud knock.

If it's CV joints, I'll just get the parts and I think it's an easy job (not done it before though). Can anyone advise on all parts required from brickwerks and whether I should replace anything else whilst there?
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.
Gary.

80-90 Mem No: 15521

Re: Rotational 'knocking' in rear

Postby 937carrera » 30 Dec 2019, 15:01

I suggest you make sure the bolts are all tightened correctly first....... other than that the diagnosis seems sensible.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
937carrera

80-90 Mem No: 16333

Postby Aidan » 30 Dec 2019, 20:46

loose cv joint bolts first point of call, outers my guess
AIDAN
Aidan
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 742

Postby Winchweight » 31 Dec 2019, 09:33

Having the same issue here. Worst under braking or left turns, also low speed.
www.thelittleredbus.com

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper
Winchweight

80-90 Mem No: 12697

Postby Jim San » 31 Dec 2019, 10:01

Winchweight wrote:Having the same issue here. Worst under braking or left turns, also low speed.

Shaun, joints usually click/clunk under load rather than braking.
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Postby irishkeet » 31 Dec 2019, 10:43

Gary. wrote:After months of flawless reliability I have just had a knocking start from the rear in the last few days. Culprit I think is CV joints, but I thought I'd check opinion on here...

So I get an intermittent, but consistent knocking from rear offside when turning right.

When in reverse and steering, it's a loud knock.

If it's CV joints, I'll just get the parts and I think it's an easy job (not done it before though). Can anyone advise on all parts required from brickwerks and whether I should replace anything else whilst there?

Gary

Also in mid-suffolk and I have a load of spare CV bits knocking about from doing my van in the Summer, shout if you need any help :ok
irishkeet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby Winchweight » 31 Dec 2019, 12:19

Jim San wrote:
Winchweight wrote:Having the same issue here. Worst under braking or left turns, also low speed.

Shaun, joints usually click/clunk under load rather than braking.

That’s something that’s worrying me too. But I can’t think what else it can be.
www.thelittleredbus.com

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper
Winchweight

80-90 Mem No: 12697

Postby Gary. » 31 Dec 2019, 14:44

Aidan wrote:loose cv joint bolts first point of call, outers my guess

Thanks Aidan. There are no obvious loose bolts, however the side the noise is coming from is quite course sounding when shoving shaft left to right. The opposite is smooth and silent in compaison. I'm guessing I'm getting close?

irishkeet wrote:Also in mid-suffolk and I have a load of spare CV bits knocking about from doing my van in the Summer, shout if you need any help :ok

Thanks for the offer, are they new parts? I have a 'new for old' policy, but would rather use the better parts that are available.
Gary.

Gary.

Postby irishkeet » 31 Dec 2019, 17:31

Gary. wrote:
Aidan wrote:loose cv joint bolts first point of call, outers my guess

Thanks Aidan. There are no obvious loose bolts, however the side the noise is coming from is quite course sounding when shoving shaft left to right. The opposite is smooth and silent in compaison. I'm guessing I'm getting close?

irishkeet wrote:Also in mid-suffolk and I have a load of spare CV bits knocking about from doing my van in the Summer, shout if you need any help :ok

Thanks for the offer, are they new parts? I have a 'new for old' policy, but would rather use the better parts that are available.

Gary just have a few used bits that your welcome to try that may help you over the holidays if need be, shout if you need help Im about Saturday
irishkeet
Trader

Postby Gary. » 18 Jan 2020, 15:36

I like to follow up posts with a conclusion, just incase a moron like me stumbles across this when trying to identify their problem...

The 'clunking' was the outer CV joint, full of some wet goop / puss, so swapped out both CV's on the shaft with alternative branded versions from brickwerks. The orientation of the aftermarket CV joints was unclear, but it would appear the groove on the outer ring indicates the outer edge, i.e not where the boot connects.

The outer bolts were properly tight and I rounded off a few of the 6mm allen socket heads trying to release them. A torx bit was enough to release some, but I had to resort to the excellent 'Irwin bolt extractors' for the others: https://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors Seriously, I don't know what I would do without these.

irishkeet wrote:Gary just have a few used bits that your welcome to try that may help you over the holidays if need be, shout if you need help Im about Saturday

Thanks for the offer, my truck is a daily driver (for work), but fortunately it rolled so I got by :lol:
Gary.

Gary.

Postby irishkeet » 18 Jan 2020, 19:57

Gary. wrote:I like to follow up posts with a conclusion, just incase a moron like me stumbles across this when trying to identify their problem...

The 'clunking' was the outer CV joint, full of some wet goop / puss, so swapped out both CV's on the shaft with alternative branded versions from brickwerks. The orientation of the aftermarket CV joints was unclear, but it would appear the groove on the outer ring indicates the outer edge, i.e not where the boot connects.

The outer bolts were properly tight and I rounded off a few of the 6mm allen socket heads trying to release them. A torx bit was enough to release some, but I had to resort to the excellent 'Irwin bolt extractors' for the others: https://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors Seriously, I don't know what I would do without these.

irishkeet wrote:Gary just have a few used bits that your welcome to try that may help you over the holidays if need be, shout if you need help Im about Saturday

Thanks for the offer, my truck is a daily driver (for work), but fortunately it rolled so I got by :lol:

Glad your sorted Gary, were doing Run to the Hun next week (if dry) if you fancy it :ok
irishkeet
Trader

Postby Gary. » 19 Jan 2020, 12:01

irishkeet wrote:Glad your sorted Gary, were doing Run to the Hun next week (if dry) if you fancy it :ok

Looks good, what does it involve? Looks like you'd have to leave early to be in Kings Lynn by 9am?
Gary.

Gary.

Postby irishkeet » 19 Jan 2020, 17:23

Gary. wrote:
irishkeet wrote:Glad your sorted Gary, were doing Run to the Hun next week (if dry) if you fancy it :ok

Looks good, what does it involve? Looks like you'd have to leave early to be in Kings Lynn by 9am?

Never been before but its a run to Hunstanton, charity event.

More info on the SVT group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/s.v.t.suffolkveedubtransporters/

timeline
Convoy to Run to the Hun on the 26th of Jan.. is as follows :

7am - meet copdock recycling bins
7:15am (sharp) - Leave to convoy
7:25am - Stowmarket McDonalds stop
7:45am - Bury Tesco Stop
8:15am -Arrive at Thetford mcdonalds to join
Rest of convoy to leave at 8:30 sharp

Please have Fuel sorted if you wish to grab a quick bit at McDonald's!

We are planning to get to the Thetford macdonalds and joining there. But only if its dry :)
irishkeet
Trader

Postby Gary. » 19 Jan 2020, 17:40

Stowmarket McDonalds it is then. However, my 1.6TD is pushing over 3k rpm at 50 mph, so I hope cruising speed is not too fast! Should be easy to spot me!
Gary.

Gary.

Postby irishkeet » 19 Jan 2020, 17:47

Gary. wrote:Stowmarket McDonalds it is then. However, my 1.6TD is pushing over 3k rpm at 50 mph, so I hope cruising speed is not too fast! Should be easy to spot me!

Gary
We are planning to get to the Thetford macdonalds and joining there. But only if its dry :)
irishkeet
Trader

Next

Return to Syncro