Syncro specifc engine temerature sensor locations 1.6JX

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Syncro specifc engine temerature sensor locations 1.6JX

Postby Gary. » 14 Jul 2019, 13:43

I've got an on-going problem with the engine not starting straight away when warm. Seems that I need a boost from the glow plugs, but they are not being turned on when there is residual heat in the engine.

Before you say have a search, I have thorouhly scraped the internet for clear information with no luck!

It would appear the black/blue wire is for the glow plug temp sensor, but there appears to be two extra temp sensors on the syncro. Would anybody be able to upload some pictures and clearly describe the locations and their use? Possibly how to diagnose a faulty sensor would be useful too.

Many thanks, Gary.
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.
Gary.

80-90 Mem No: 15521

Re: Syncro specifc engine temerature sensor locations 1.6JX

Postby Timburrows » 14 Jul 2019, 16:44

The three sensors are 1 heater plugs,2 engine temp gauge,3 coolant pump,turbo fan. Sensors 1and 2 are the same values sensor 3 is only earthing at +95degrees so switching as opposed to a resistor that changes as the temp increases.so if you swap the temp and heater plug ones over that will tell you if the function the same temp gauge reads the same.the two wires are the black/blue and the yellow/red I think ??easy way to tell is disconnect yellow/ red and check temp gauge isn’t working if it is then it’s the other wire
Timburrows

80-90 Mem No: 14187

Postby clift_d » 14 Jul 2019, 22:35

Wiring diagrams for the TD are in the forum Wiki here:
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Diesel_engine_wiring#KY_and_JX_diesel

For the locations of the coolant temperature senders, a couple of images, the first linked from the Wiki shows the forward facing end of a JX cylinder head with two of the senders marked, for the Temp Gauge and for the Glow Plug system:

The two senders in the above image are either side of the coolant hose at location 3 in the following diagram - the other sender is at location 2 and controls the Aux Water Pump:

The two senders at location 3 are identical so you could try swapping the wiring over to help determine if either has failed.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Postby Gary. » 15 Jul 2019, 12:28

That's more than helpful, thanks. I'll have a poke about tonight. Needs to be reliable as I've ditched the T5 in favour of a 30 year old daily driver!
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.
Gary.

80-90 Mem No: 15521

Postby clift_d » 15 Jul 2019, 12:57

Gary. wrote:Needs to be reliable as I've ditched the T5 in favour of a 30 year old daily driver!

What could possibly go wrong with that :mrgreen: ...

If you need the VAG Workshop Manuals for the JX send me a PM and I'll forward a link where you can download some PDFs.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Return to Syncro