The Big Discussion aka Future of syncronauts

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: The Big Discussion aka Future of syncronauts

Postby silverbullet » 08 Jun 2019, 08:26

Thanks Scott, I think you have identified some things that we could address quickly and easily.
There is an 80-90 help list, I don't see why we couldn't have a similar one within this syncro sub-forum (and without getting into a GDPR nightmare situation?)

Simple get-togethers would be a good thing too, they dont need to be an all-day affair, an hour or two chatting in a carpark and having a brew, putting names to faces etc would do it.

New syncro ownership & club membership has inevitably changed because of the sheer cost of either buying "a good one" or restoring a well-beaten example in 2019.

In short: we need new blood!

Further thoughts: maybe the club has evolved?
What if its no longer a needy insecure teenager that has to see its friends every day and is now a thirtysomething with responsibilities and precious little time for fun?
Or even become comfortable and middle aged, knowing where its friends are but rarely seeing them because it is now persuing other interests?

I'd like to see the thoughts of those who pm'd me shared publicly...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby silverbullet » 08 Jun 2019, 08:30

PS last weekend's even was organized through fb by a.n.other and via closed group (that was then shared to an open group, otherwise we'd have been none the wiser)
Politics.

silverbullet
Trader

Postby irishkeet » 08 Jun 2019, 08:43

silverbullet wrote:PS last weekend's even was organized through fb by a.n.other and via closed group (that was then shared to an open group, otherwise we'd have been none the wiser)
Politics.

I did wonder why its was not on 8090 :roll:
irishkeet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby 4x4 Bus » 08 Jun 2019, 12:13

It is unfortunate that there is a bit of a split but this is not due to the syncronuats club. This has evolved from a long history of toys being thrown out the cot. Individuals can organise what every they like and invite/ post this were every they like. I for one am quite happy not to take part in anything associated with or any event that gia is at. From past history I know there is a lot of people who feel the same.
I also don't agree with large groups of vehicles going laning. This causes a lot of problems for the various associations and just gives bobble hats more ammo to close lanes. Bigger groups tend to also go off piste more and yes avoiding an obstacle on a lane by driving arround it is going off piste. This causes huge problems and lane closures.
I personally do not think laning is for beginners due to lane damage that can be caused.
This is were SP comes in. A great location, nice and relaxed were new to syncro people can learn a lot and get pointers from more experienced people.
People can have a relaxed catch-up and most times variouse people then move on to a weeks travel around Wales.
Organising new events takes time and this is not something most of us have a lot of going spare.
4x4 Bus

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby Jim San » 08 Jun 2019, 12:31

silverbullet wrote:I'd like to see the thoughts of those who pm'd me shared publicly...

Maybe, herein lays a problem. Not wanting to make assumptions but maybe they feel their comments may cause offense.
Without being right or wrong, peoples opinion differ and people sharing similar opinons align and cliques form (cliques are a natural unavoidable part of any club - its called friendship groups).

People get sick of being depended on to be the organisers - understandably.
It was said in the other similar discussion we had on here - we need people to step up and create events - and some have - Kent peeps put on a laning event. Some geezer called Winchweight from Shropshire put on an event at Hawkestone Park off road centre. both were well attended.
It was also said in the same discussion that these thoughts and concerns should be discussed at the AGM. Which I agree with to a point - I aired my thoughts about the AGM system at the time (this is a whole other discussion.

Our committee needs applauding for what they have done and what they still do and I accept we probably only know the half of it. I don't fully understand what our committee does, but the club still functions so they must be doing their bit.
I don't like offending or potentially offending people but could the committee do more to help the club, to communicate where the club is at, shortfalls, positives, where it's going, how thigns should be done etc. Or are they sick of banging their head against the wall trying!
My question regards the committee, is should Syncro ownership be a requirement? I understand, maybe wronlgy, that some no longer own them. Does it matter? I am a member of a Syncro owners club - I f I didn't have one, I'd see little point in being part of it. Does that sound callous?

SP last year was a shot in the arm. The different activities were great. I had no idea to the extends of our available playground.
Variety is key. Doing the same thing year on year, albeit easier to organise, will see numbers drop off. Activities need rotating and new ideas tried out so it's doesn't become stale - but people need to put their hands up and run things, as they don't just happen. My participation has been minimal I agree, we (Ben and I) just banged some sheep hurdles in and made a trailer trial and along with Geoff, we took turns in marshalling it. We will do the trailer trail again this year but not next year - unless forced to by popular demand.
SP is in such a wonderful venue - lets make the most of it, sharing ideas.

Simon TMT struggles to get drivers for CJ. Trust me, if you like an offroad experience go and DO IT. You don't have to be an expert in off road driving - but you'll come out the other side feeling a bit more like one.
CJ is a 'show', its not to everyones taste including mine but the Syncro rides are excellent and in truth where we are camped you can almost forget you are at one.

I've forgotten the question now....
More fixtures? Yes please. What should we aim for as an agreeable amount. 4 with the hope of attending 3. I agree with not all meets need to invovle offroading - it would make organising a lot easier. Wild camping, pub camping, touring, walking etc.
I'm a tight esra part time student who balks at expense (so why own a Syncro eh!). Trade shows such as AO have a purpose but its an expensive way to camp out to meet up with friends - I can see why traders involved with the club like it but is the stand and all it involves really worth the effort and time.

Greenlaning. I can take it or leave it, I'm with Alex, UK laning is hardly worth the effort. Some are very rewarding with the odd challenge, ford or stunning view but mostly are a trudge through a tunnel. Questionable etiquette of other 4x4 clubs hitting these lanes in large numbers and the damage they cause doesn't do any of us any favours. Plus, in light of reports of lanes being spiked, I don't relish the thought of damaged tyres just to do a lane.
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Postby silverbullet » 08 Jun 2019, 15:37

Thank you gents, now we are getting down to the heart of the matter.

We need more participation. Maybe SP should be about the syncronauts welcoming others to join us, drawing on their experience. We've had the odd Landy and Roger has turned up in all sorts of 4x4 things over the years!

I intend to meet my local AWDC once the syncro is back 'on the off-road" since I have a debt of gratitude for being rescued from an icy carpark by a Fiat Panda 4x4 some winters ago...

SP specific Q: why do we always camp down in the field?
Any reasons why we couldn't camp up on the hill to mix it up?
If the landowner is happy that we have good fire management and we have a water supply, but everyone has jerrycans and we can organize a water run with just one van.
Catch the sunrise, benefit from the views if the weather is on-side, bask in the sunset...
I can only see positives.
We don't use the big open area up there anyway, its just a space that we cross to get to other areas.

(I'm still not touching the politics, but thankfully Russel has hit the nail squarely on the head)

silverbullet
Trader

Postby lloydy » 08 Jun 2019, 18:50

scottie, wherabouts are you in south london?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
lloydy

80-90 Mem No: 5262

Postby Splurt » 09 Jun 2019, 10:54

I'm new to Syncro ownership and like others joined Syncronauts straight away. I would love to be able attend events but being based in Ireland makes it harder. Last years SP fell on my wedding week and this year its fallen on the honeymoon trip so it will be next year before I can make it. At the moment I would only be in the position to travel across for one event per year and my first choice would be SP. Hopefully circumstances will change so that I could attend more but for now I need to be able to plan well in advance in order to get the time off work and to save. An Irish meet would be great, especially if over a bank holiday weekend and again with plenty of advance notice.

Life is extremely busy for most of us and I greatly appreciate the time and effort people sacrifice to keep the club and forum ticking and to those who organise events. I need to contribute more to give a little back. When it comes to organising events I just don't have the spare time to be heavily involved. However if i am attending I would be happy to volunteer to help out in whatever way I could.

I like the idea of small meets with just a a night or two wild camping spread over the year in between a few bigger events. Smaller meets could be impromptu and this is where FB is useful.
If the forecast looks good and I decide to go to a certain area for the weekend, I post it up to let others know and if it suits people they can tag along. If anyone is ever travelling through the north east of Ireland just let it be known and we can pick a local wild camp for an evening.

I much rather use the forum than FB, but I think that the two need to be used together. FB is convenient for creating event pages and gauging how many people can attend, or putting up short messages which fade away into the background very quickly. The forum is better for in depth discussion. Things need to be posted up on both to keep everyone informed as Im sure some people use just one or the other.

I dont know where we are going as a club, I dont feel like I have ever been involved but I am new to it and am keen to become part of the community.

As a newbie SP is my chance of meeting up with a big group of like minded people, making new friends and learning from them.

I am 32 and have the syncro for long term travel plans. We want to be able to spend 4-8weeks every year exploring europe. I would love to try some green laning but with a heavier vehicle I would not want to be doing anything too extreme. The capability of the vehicle allows us to get off the beaten track into quiet, non-visible nooks and crannys that are spectacular wild campsites. I do not have it as a 4X4 toy, although in an ideal world I would also have a panel van or doka purely for this purpose!

Hope this is useful.
Ryan
89 - 1.8T AGU - Hightop SA Syncro

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett
Splurt

80-90 Mem No: 9694

Postby jebiga41 » 09 Jun 2019, 18:55

Splurt wrote:I'm new to Syncro ownership and like others joined Syncronauts straight away. I would love to be able attend events but being based in Ireland makes it harder. Last years SP fell on my wedding week and this year its fallen on the honeymoon trip so it will be next year before I can make it. At the moment I would only be in the position to travel across for one event per year and my first choice would be SP. Hopefully circumstances will change so that I could attend more but for now I need to be able to plan well in advance in order to get the time off work and to save. An Irish meet would be great, especially if over a bank holiday weekend and again with plenty of notice
Ryan

Eire Syncro is planned for next year from the 22nd May- 1st June which includes both uk and Ireland bank holidays :wink:
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie
jebiga41
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 5654

Postby scotttie » 10 Jun 2019, 08:49

Post by lloydy » 08 Jun 2019, 19:50

scottie, wherabouts are you in south london?

Hi Lloydy, I'm near Crystal Palace, So not too far from you! :ok

80-90 Mem No: 16828

Postby silverbullet » 10 Jun 2019, 18:09

Off the top of my head we have a few in SW London/Surrey area, the Kent collective, The Shropshire mob, a few in Devon & Cornwall, a few in WeYo/t'Peak, also Lancs, Wales (all regions), Glasgow, Edinburgh...
So there's no lack of national coverage if you're trying to find a "local" syncronaut.

Apologies for any obvious omissions ;)

silverbullet
Trader

Postby Syncrobaz » 11 Jun 2019, 14:50

Plus a few near me ( North Wilts ) and not forgetting Patrick in Zummerzet. :ok
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"
Syncrobaz

80-90 Mem No: 10610

Postby sonic23 » 11 Jun 2019, 16:17

I used to be a much more active member than I currently am both at events and on the forum. On the former, personally, this comes down to the kids reaching an age where we seem to have no free weekends from March until November and also buying a new house a few years ago which has consumed the rest of my time....some things have got to give unfortunately. As a family we still use the van on a daily basis and love using it as it should be whenever we can.

I am a member of the syncro committee, and have enjoyed helping to organise things when i can, however, I sadly cannot afford the time to do so at the moment and would gladly relinquish my place to new blood who can inject the required enthusiasm. It's possibly the same for other comittee members too.

I've been to SP a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've also been to CJ for the first couple of years - but those 2 weekends are now taken with other things. I've enjoyed Coney Farm too and obviously the Mendips shenanigans. Organised events on a secure area with differing terrain and challenges is my preference when participating as a group

One thing which i have a love/hate relationship with is green laning. Small groups here are the key for remaining inconspicuous and leaving little impact to the land. I don't think it belongs as part of a large club event, even with carefully co-ordinated groups of vehicles all in different places at once. It just takes one person's van to get stuck for an hour and all of a sudden you can have a convergence on your hand of all vehicles, which i'm sure doesn't look too good from an outsiders perspective and although fun at first can get tedious and boring for family members etc

All that being said - the Eire Syncro event next year is looking a distinct possibility!

Oh and as a long term objective, I want to keep the vehicle up and going as it's going to have to be my home when the missus and i go feral in Fuertaventura during winter months in later years.
cheers,
Rich
sonic23

80-90 Mem No: 1158

Postby silverbullet » 11 Jun 2019, 20:04

Maybe being a syncronaut is more of a zen state?
The idea or notion being more important than the actual thing...

silverbullet
Trader

Postby philyoung » 11 Jun 2019, 20:57

Well, I’ve joined the syncronauts relatively recently and the only event I’ve managed to get to was CJ 2017. I’ll be back at CJ this year because it’s good fun and I rather enjoyed the CJ experience, although I can quite understand why others wouldn’t. I did have a go around the quarry in Si TMT’s doka and I quite clearly don’t have the off road skills to do the driving so I’m happy to marshall/run about/be a dogsbody.

I wouldn’t know where to begin with organising an off road event, but if people wanted to have a weekend camping on the South coast just to get together I could certainly help with that.

I don’t know anything of previous politics or disagreements but as an Intensive Care Consultant I would ask everyone to bury differences. I’ve lost count of the number of patients younger than me who have died, life is very short, anything could happen tomorrow and if you look really hard most of the disagreements don’t really matter in the big scheme of things........

Phil
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen
philyoung

80-90 Mem No: 15404

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro