Prop shaft removal - tips please!

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Prop shaft removal - tips please!

Postby Tinium » 08 May 2019, 10:38

Looking to remove my prop shaft to see if I can track down a vibration I'm getting around 45mph...

I've got the Bentley open at 39.15, and see it mentions that the front final drive mounts should be loosened before attempting to remove the prop. Do I take it that I need to have the front of the van off the ground before I do this? And then when re-assembling "align front final drive..." - I take it just ensure that it's back where it started before I loosened the bolts, or is there anything else to consider?

Any hints/tips/advice appreciated, either with the prop removal or mystery vibration hunting (feels like driving on a corrugated road @ 45mph, nice and smooth by 60mph, I've had the wheels balanced this month already). Looks like a simple job, but then when I'm lying on my back in the gutter on the side of our road these things always seem to escalate :shock:

Cheers,
Ben.
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan
Tinium

80-90 Mem No: 12269

Re: Prop shaft removal - tips please!

Postby silverbullet » 08 May 2019, 12:14

Before you remove the prop...how old are the tyres and what type of wheels are fitted?
I had a similar problem, had the wheels balanced, didnt cure the vibrations at certain road speeds.
It was flatted/buckled alloys (15" and sensible tyres) Had them refurbed and straightened, smooth as the proverbial afterwards.
If you disturb the diff, it will vibrate with worn u/j's on an old prop, because its impossible to get it all back in the same place.
But if the prop is worn it'll need replacing or refurbing anyway.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby silverbullet » 08 May 2019, 12:18

PS the u/j's should be smooth when rolled in all directions with no obvious tight or loose spots or notchiness.
Any of the above means they need replacement.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Tinium » 08 May 2019, 12:40

Running 215/75R15 BFG AT's on 15" Mefros, tyres in good condition, 6 years old. Have inevitably stood a bit over the last year whilst I've had the engine/gearbox done, but tyre fitters that did the balancing didn't report anything amiss other than one of rims looked like it had taken a knock at some point. So will swap that with the spare as the first job and rule that out.

Prop's been out taken out & re-fitted recently by the garage that did the engine swap (in order to get the engine setup by a tuner with only a single axle rolling road). Wonder if that's what's introduced the vibration, as I doubt it'd been disturbed for an age before that, and I'm guessing it's the original prop.

Will rule out that tyre first, then look at the prop.

Thanks for advice, it's much appreciated :)
Tinium

Postby Tinium » 20 May 2019, 10:18

Swapping the tyres made no difference, so off with the prop, and bingo, vibration gone. It's the original by the looks of it from when the van was a 1.9, so guessing it's new GKN prop time, or does anyone have details/recommendations of someone to talk to re: refurbing the existing prop?

Tinium

Postby syncropatrick » 20 May 2019, 11:05

I had a wonky UJ on mine.
These people in Bristol did an inexpensive UJ replacement which tides me over until I can afford a new shaft.
http://www.prop-shaft.com/

They are recognised experts in this field.
Wanted: offside part of full-height walk-through bulkhead behind front seat: 251 863 170
syncropatrick

80-90 Mem No: 5294

Postby Tinium » 20 May 2019, 12:21

syncropatrick wrote:http://www.prop-shaft.com/

Thanks, will check them out :)
Tinium

Postby Aidan » 20 May 2019, 21:37

that's not original, the thin end is a replacement/hack?/repair. A 1.9 prop is the same at each end, someone has replaced one end with something different, it is like a GKN with sliding section, but the fat end looks original as it has the non din 90 type uj with no grease nipple
AIDAN
Aidan
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 742

Postby irishkeet » 21 May 2019, 06:44

should look like this (my old prop)

irishkeet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 2322

Postby Tinium » 21 May 2019, 07:14

Aidan wrote:that's not original, the thin end is a replacement/hack?/repair. A 1.9 prop is the same at each end, someone has replaced one end with something different, it is like a GKN with sliding section, but the fat end looks original as it has the non din 90 type uj with no grease nipple

irishkeet wrote:should look like this...

Thanks Aidan & Irishkeet, that's good to know before I ship it off to someone and it's not what they're expecting (there's "1.9" and a model number stamped on it, hence my assumption :oops:) It does indeed have a sliding section, full of grease. I did wonder, after getting it off the van, why the Bentley was so insistent on slackening off the final drive before removal, turns out I probably don't need to with that/other sliding props.

Waiting for a call back from the people at prop-shaft.com, will see what they have to say, but if it turns out the prop's a "custom" job I think I'll probably invest in a GKN so that I know where I stand :)

Cheers,
Ben.
Tinium

Postby Tinium » 21 May 2019, 07:50

Nigel @ prop-shaft.com was very helpful and definitely knows his stuff, but unfortunately won't touch my Frankenprop with the proverbial barge pole. GKN time I take it...

E D I T: Committed to the GKN on on Brickwerks about 1 minute before a very kind PM on here offering me a deal on a 2nd hand one... Ah well! The good reviews of the new Brickwerks one & ease of fit swung it for me, fingers crossed it's worth the investment :)
Tinium

Postby HarryMann » 07 Jun 2019, 09:46

Would only take them to drop or knock that thin walled prop a bit to upset it. Hopefully they were warned to take great care Syncros are not tractors... prop flange faces should be spotless too.
But its more likely the engine angle or to do with engine swap..
I see a hybrid prop.

And no, it isn't normal to loosen front diff to remove provided no vibration. Usually a jemmy can be used to lever box or diff on its rubber mounts enough to remove and refit.
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

80-90 Mem No: 379

Postby HarryMann » 07 Jun 2019, 09:57

Also Tim... removing the prop 》》 no vibration 《》 necessarily prop itself.
e.g. might be perfect prop badly aligned or prop connection bringing out a diff or output shaft bearing problem. Just saying.
Hope new prop sorts it out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

80-90 Mem No: 379

Postby Tinium » 07 Jun 2019, 10:22

Ta! I've got the new prop in the office here, just to find the time & weather to get it on the van. Fingers crossed... :D
Tinium

Postby Tinium » 23 Jun 2019, 07:45

New prop now on, which has solved the judder when reversing (yes!), but the vibration at 40-45mph remains (noooo!), although it's a bit better than it was.

HarryMann wrote:e.g. might be perfect prop badly aligned or prop connection bringing out a diff or output shaft bearing problem. Just saying.

Thanks Clive - As the box was rebuilt end of last year, and I wasn't getting any vibrations prior to the engine/gearbox work, I'm really hoping it's just alignment, so will try and rule that out first. Any recommendations for checking that myself? Read in a couple of places that slackening the front diff bolts and taking for a drive can let it settle into the best place, is that recommended? And in which case, mounting bolts, side bolts or both? Otherwise any more help appreciated as always. (Will be chasing my local garage too.)

Oh, and fitting the new prop I put the slider at the front, same as the prop I took off - Is that the recommended direction / would it make any difference fitted the other way round?

Hoping to get this sorted prior to Camperjam where I should be driving :D

Cheers,
Ben.
Tinium

Next

Return to Syncro