From 4 wheel, to 2 wheel, back to 4 wheel

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Re: Introducing “FAG”

Postby Rdav1s » 07 Apr 2019, 18:40

Fresh water and waste water tanks are strapped underneath mid section near sliding door and opposite. The "Leisure" battery was a standard car battery located next to propex heater. I removed this today and have put a 130amp in the rear so its in the cupboard above the starter battery. I have a 140amp split charger that's gonna be fitted this week as there wasn't one when I got it.
The tailgate is shot, so im on the hunt for another, in white. The plan is a rolling respray back to white (stock). Tailgate first then panels/area of corrosion on order of crustiness :mrgreen:
does the twin locker mean i can lock either the front or rear or both diffs? if so when would i need that??? my "Bing" reseach tells me that the G on the gear stick is a cross country gear, and the ratio looks similar to reverse, would that be for proper dodgy situations ?
Rdav1s

80-90 Mem No: 16963

Postby Jim San » 07 Apr 2019, 18:56

Rdav1s wrote:Fresh water and waste water tanks are strapped underneath mid section near sliding door and opposite. The "Leisure" battery was a standard car battery located next to propex heater. I removed this today and have put a 130amp in the rear so its in the cupboard above the starter battery. I have a 140amp split charger that's gonna be fitted this week as there wasn't one when I got it.
The tailgate is shot, so im on the hunt for another, in white. The plan is a rolling respray back to white (stock). Tailgate first then panels/area of corrosion on order of crustiness :mrgreen:
does the twin locker mean i can lock either the front or rear or both diffs? if so when would i need that??? my "Bing" reseach tells me that the G on the gear stick is a cross country gear, and the ratio looks similar to reverse, would that be for proper dodgy situations ?

G gear is low ratio - going up steep bits. And it is quite amazing just how well they go up steep bits :D I still remember the first up-hill thinking 'it'll never make it' only for it to do very easily without a moment of hesitation.

I'm mid rolling respray - or rather slowly turning it to red oxide :rofl

Twin lockers - you can lock front or rear diffs or both at the same time. Mostly it'll be just rear locker you need to lock but when things get really tough, you can lock your front - but be warned - that's when your steering becomes really heavy and you have a turning circle of the moons orbit of earth.

Booking hasn't opened yet - but put it in your diary for Sycropendence - last weekend of June, mid Wales. There is plenty of off roading available even with the high top.
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Postby silverbullet » 08 Apr 2019, 07:46

Logbook says panel van and it was, once upon a time, a panel van.
Propshaft is a recent removal, flange faces are shiny.
Gearlinkage is also shiny because someone has removed the "protector" aka drainpipe, probably to fiddle with the adjustment clamp...jumping out of 4th means it needs shortening a tad.
Its a mole grips and mallet job, sorted in minutes and will save you £££ in premature wear.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Rdav1s » 08 Apr 2019, 08:58

silverbullet wrote:Logbook says panel van and it was, once upon a time, a panel van.
Propshaft is a recent removal, flange faces are shiny.
Gearlinkage is also shiny because someone has removed the "protector" aka drainpipe, probably to fiddle with the adjustment clamp...jumping out of 4th means it needs shortening a tad.
Its a mole grips and mallet job, sorted in minutes and will save you £££ in premature wear.

Cheers for that, was going down the route of 4th gear replacement, or maybe a bungy cord to keep it in 4th :lol:
I’m hoping to pick up a prop this week but will definitely be seeking advice before fitting and moving the wagon.
I’ve also noticed an electrical connection missing from the gearbox area, will post a photo shortly if anyone can help
Rdav1s

Postby Rdav1s » 08 Apr 2019, 09:02

Should this, whatever it is, be connected?Image

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
Rdav1s

Postby Rdav1s » 08 Apr 2019, 09:04

And should the timing inspection have a cover on it..... so many question. For my education I have the Bentley manual now and am on page 5, guess it will take 10 years to complete at this rate :-)

Rdav1s

Postby clift_d » 08 Apr 2019, 09:16

Rdav1s wrote:Should this, whatever it is, be connected?Image

That's the switch for the rear difflock indicator light on the panel behind the gearstick. It tells you whether your rear difflock has engaged properly, assuming that it's working.
:mrgreen:

Rdav1s wrote:And should the timing inspection have a cover on it..... so many question. For my education I have the Bentley manual now and am on page 5, guess it will take 10 years to complete at this rate :-)

The timing port covers can be had from Brickwerks - it's not strictly necessary to replace it, but it's easy enough to add one to your next BW order and get it fitted.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/timing-port-screw-cap-t3-d-td.html
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/timing-port-cover-cap-t3-d-td.html
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Postby clift_d » 08 Apr 2019, 09:45

Rdav1s wrote:does the twin locker mean i can lock either the front or rear or both diffs? if so when would i need that??? my "Bing" reseach tells me that the G on the gear stick is a cross country gear, and the ratio looks similar to reverse, would that be for proper dodgy situations ?

'G' is for Geländewagen which is the German for an off-road vehicle - it's a forward gear with the same drive ratio as reverse gear.

There was some info in the Syncronauts section of the site - linked at the top right - about driving these vehicles and how you might use the difflocks, but the links don't seem to be working right now. Generally we've found that the rear difflock is most useful, particularly on steep inclines, and that we've only ever used the front difflock in very specific situations, for example fording a river with a shingle bed where you want to be sure that you're getting the best purchase throughout, and particularly when climbing the bank on the other side to get out.

As a rule you should never use your difflocks on hard pavement, only on loose or slippery surfaces otherwise you might cause damage to part of your drive train, most likely breaking one of your drive shafts, although gearbox damage is not unknown. As already said above, if you have the front difflock on then steering can become very difficult on any reasonably firm surface that doesn't allow the wheels to slip at all. Similarly if you use the rear difflock on a firm surface you will feel the rear wheels 'grabbing' if you try to, for example, turn into a parking bay in reverse.

:ok
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Postby silverbullet » 08 Apr 2019, 13:48

Pedant alert!
Gelände translates more as "across the land" or cross-country iirc but is used as the generic term for an offroader of any sort.
A bit like the BBC inventing the term "field car" in the 1950's to describe a Land Rover, because they couldn't use brand names!

'85 syncro Caravelle twin slider, '90 SA Microbus project

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby lloydy » 08 Apr 2019, 17:51

nice van, can you tell if it started off blue. Ive seen a very similar one a few years back, but blue.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
lloydy

80-90 Mem No: 5262

Postby Jim San » 08 Apr 2019, 17:56

lloydy wrote:nice van, can you tell if it started off blue. Ive seen a very similar one a few years back, but blue.

Started off as a white van Lloydy, he did mention it earlier but you can see it around the engine bay shot. Pay attention :mrgreen:
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Postby lloydy » 08 Apr 2019, 19:12

:mrgreen:
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
lloydy

80-90 Mem No: 5262

Postby Rdav1s » 12 Apr 2019, 11:08

So, I’m sure I’m not unique in this world, so this can’t be a unique mistake. When buying something you know little about. Research, ask, ask again, then research some more.

After nearly 3 weeks of ownership, I’ve only just realised that as well as the prop missing (now sorted), the front drive shafts are also AWOL. This can only mean one thing :roll:
On the plus side, with the diff off, I should get better MPG.
Always look on the bright side of life...... :wink:
Rdav1s

Postby Rdav1s » 12 Apr 2019, 11:53

Hi guys

How do I find out if I have a syncro gearbox. I've selected G and the bugger moves forward. Hoping that's conclusive enough. Also in the first pic there is a blue Planck "thing". Is that the diff lock actuator? Theres one on the front diff as well

Cheers
ImageImage

Rdav1s

Postby Syncrobaz » 12 Apr 2019, 11:58

Is the diff shot ? Some say mpg is better in 4WD! Your van has the small vents in the rear upper panels meaning it had a full bulkhead when new. ( random fact )
Yep, that's a Syncro box ( transaxle ) and that is the difflock actuator. All UK spec vans had front and rear locks.
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"
Syncrobaz

80-90 Mem No: 10610

PreviousNext

Return to Syncro