Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oldiguana
80-90 Mem No: 2720

Post by oldiguana »

really getting tempted to have a go boys but got a couple of silly questions........25% thinners in the mix...so do you add 1/4 litre to a litre of paint,or 1/3 litre to a litre of paint(would make 25% after being mixed...daft i know but im a bit of a divhead!!!),secondly the missus wants me to have a go over winter,fortunately i have a garage large enough to get the van in,so if i get hold of a gas heater and seal up any drafts,would it be viable to undertake it during winter......also i need something to do christmas day when the outlaws turn up for dinner!!!!! know what i mean gents!
.membership no 2720

booster24
80-90 Mem No: 1803

Post by booster24 »

Get some measuring jugs from the pound shop, put 200ml of paint in one jug and 50ml of thinners in another and mix and fold in. Thats 20%, in winter that will be fine, maybe go 25% for the final coat and put on thinly , realy work that roller around. If you flat back between coats 1200 grade I find is fine, then a thin layer of paint for your final coat will give a great finish, and be easy to flat back. Take your time, taken me 7 weeks to get to the fourth coat with all the prep and 5 days between coats, but its looking great :D

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Yup, about right Booster. Ambient temperature tends to dicate exact proportions but better to add thinners slowly rather than over-thin.

Good to see the pound shop thing is being maintained!

We're running out of good days to paint though now. May/June is perfect for this really. I plan to get on another layer or two next year after I address anything that has subsequently appeared since this years roller job. I seem to have been sidetracked by curtains and cushions at the moment....

Anyone can do this though. You don't need any special skills, just an eye for runs and imperfections and neat masking. The paint is fairly forgiving. Just prep well!!!

Booster - put some pics up of what you've done so far!

ding-dang-dhu
80-90 Mem No: 3927

Post by ding-dang-dhu »

CovKid wrote: Booster - put some pics up of what you've done so far!

Seconded!!
Pete (Half man, half horse)

As cunning as a fox, that's just graduated from Oxford with a degree in cunning

"WEAZLECHIN"
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

i need to paint a 1972 motorbike frame, and i could probably do my 7.5 tonner crash bars with the same colour, but i cant find anyone that does combicolor in 1 ltr tins, they try to push 2.5 ltrs......this paint does sound good though.

MINI_BUS
80-90 Mem No: 2793

Post by MINI_BUS »

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

Just got my order through from combination. I have got a mix of spray paint for the tricky bits and normal tinned combi colour. Ordered on the web site below and next day delivery. Ideal. (£10 though!!)
I am using RAL 6001 which is a very close match to my standard colour of Escorial Green, being just a shade lighter.

I have got to build the shed first though in which I am going to paint, but hope to do so after christmas. I might hire some garage paint dryer radiant heaters to warm and dry the surfaces. Meanwhile I can do all those little interior touch up jobs I need to get done like where I have removed the full bulkhead.

http://www.combicolor.co.uk/?action=main

I cant wait to get the bus back to the colour she should be.

I am also gonna try the satin black for suspension components.

Simon.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Blimey, this thread has been read over 12,000 times!!! Is that a record on 80/90?

I guess a paint job is beyond the means of many and with the wedge being such a large vehicle, most just drive around looking like an ad for seam rust. Mine did for a long while.

This project is within the means of most people and providing you follow my instructions in the WIKI, and browse this thread from time to time, theres no reason why any reasonably capable person shouldn't be able to tackle this job. Just do the prep!!! Don't skimp on sorting dents and dings.

To remind everyone, the vehicle is painted with combicolor - a rust inhibitor which is available in every possible shade. If you pick one of the standard colours its fairly cost effective. If you're a purist and want an exact match, expect to pay over the £100 mark for all the mixing.

I have a few other neat projects on the go but after the success of this one, I'm wondering if I should actually post them - lol. 80/90's bandwidth must be clocking up!

:lol:

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Plenty of bandwidth here Ralph, keep 'em coming and well done... another summer's on it's way... somewhere ahead :)

12,520. views/visits.. and Yes, I think that is definitely a record :shock:
Last edited by HarryMann on 27 Oct 2007, 23:12, edited 3 times in total.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

CovKid wrote:Blimey, this thread has been read over 12,000 times!!! Is that a record on 80/90?

Three word story seems to be still popular after a year...and many attempts to end it have failed :D

but this one is the most useful long runner.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Correction..

This thread currently has the most views..

Pics of your lowered van...

nearly 25,000 - which must say something.

Which is not to take anything away from a Tech Advice/Help thread with 12,500 :)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

rongob

Post by rongob »

Do you think it is possible to paint this late in the year,as the weather this weekend where i am is going to be about 16 degrees.

mud
80-90 Mem No: 883

Post by mud »

Cracking thread Covkid, I am also going to be painting my rig once I've decided on a colour :?

Didn't Rolls Royce paint their cars by hand? I seem to remember that they used finely ground cherry stones for flatting back the final coat, I'm gonna stick with wet and dry though :wink:
"Boldly Going Nowhere"

"WEAZLECHIN"
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

before the advent of spraying, all vehicles (coaches) were painted by hand. hence "coachpainting" or "cellulosing", paint on flat back repeat.

hi_tower
80-90 Mem No: 4005

Post by hi_tower »

Ive just been reading a thread on vzi about combicolour. Someone was saying that it never properly hardens and remains permanently soft enough to be marked by leaves falling on it etc. Has anyone on here used combicolour and experienced this type of problem?