Car Door Seal Mystery...

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

flinny01
80-90 Mem No: 0

Car Door Seal Mystery...

Post by flinny01 »

Hi Everyone,

I'm taking full advantage of Lockdown to begin the outfit of my T25 now it is back from fabrication/paint.

I've got a new pair of cab door seals, (complete loop) however the doors only have a seal channel on three sides (top, rear/latch side, and bottom). There appears to be a channel just behind the hinge, on the van itself. The new seals fit perfectly in terms of sizing. If this is the correct seal for my doors, I would need to stick the seal to the hinge side, as without the channel, it doesn't conform to the shape of the door. This hasn't worked with Sika 292, if this was even the right thing to do, as the door wasn't closing propely, just barely engaging with the first latch click. Seems like the seal is in the way. However as it is a complete loop, it seems like it is the right part for the doors, however it is a uniform seal all the way round, and hasn't been made with any curves/contours.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either how to get the best fit for the seal, or do I need to cut the loop, leave the hinge side open on the door, and then attach the remaining seal to the channel within the van recess? Or is there an option 3?

Thanks for all your help

Adam

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Car Door Seal Mystery...

Post by Plasticman »

hi usual (for me anyway) and after restos etc door is off so new T clips and use contract adhesive, bead round the door and bead on the seal , .prior to this, mark the seal so the T clip holes will line up as this will make life easier. why didnt you do this when the paintshop had all the doors etc off ?
regards mm

flinny01
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by flinny01 »

Thanks for that. As this is my first van conversion, and despite making a note of everything that came off, I missed the clips, and have now noticed some holes in both the doors and the seal.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

indeed. note 3 holes which correspond with those on the door front, there is also one near the lock at rear of door, use this to ensure you fit the seal in the correct orientation
mm