Rear plastic window for Joker Tailgate

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncro4us
80-90 Mem No: 2677

Rear plastic window for Joker Tailgate

Post by syncro4us »

We have just got hold of one of the rear plastic double skinned windows that were used on the Joker versions of the T25. Ours is a 1986 T25 Syncro Joker
and the rear window on our VW has alas got a crack on the inside skin.

Now the new unit looks great in every way (but we haven't fitted it yet) however there is one small defect and that is around the hole where the plastic plug is (for when they fill it with dry nitrogen or some such) which is a solid bung and where it fits you can see some minor cracks about 1-2 mm long in the Perspex around the hole . I am told these are superficial but wondered if anyone else had fitted one of these windows and how they got on and if the cracking increased with time.
On our original one the plug is similar but is hollow with a blind end that sits just inside the outer skin so that when the plug was fitted the pressure would not be too great on the hole which in the new one presumably caused the cracking but in our original windows not.
Any one got any original plugs and or any info on where these new plastic windows are manufactured and also any advice on treating the small cracks if we decide to keep it would be helpful.

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Re: Rear plastic window for Joker Tailgate

Post by diabolov »

Hi, you can use a liquid solvent like tamiya thin, the stuff you would use to make model kits with. Make sure it is thin like water
and apply with a small brush, it should get drawn into the crack by capillery action, hold while it welds the plastic and dries.

Or try either EMA model supplies or 4D modelshop for plasticweld. That's what I use at work for acrylics and styrene.
I would only go down the superglue route as a last result as that doesn't weld the plastic together just bonds it..and it can fog the plastic.
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG