quality parts manufacturers

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: quality parts manufacturers

Post by g60steve »

Jim D wrote:How good are the febi rear wheel bearings, mine need doing for my MOT and brickwerks are out of stock at the moment.

Thanks

Jim

Febi are OE wheel bearings so very good.
There's no 'r' in bought!

Jim D
80-90 Mem No: 11522

Post by Jim D »

Thanks so much. Ill get them ordered then. :)
1988 1.9td (AFN) high-top, pop top, Weinsberg LHD

smokeyjon
80-90 Mem No: 2287

Post by smokeyjon »

Loving the randomness of matsles posts! Very nice van though...

I just wondered if anyone knew about Meyle wheel bearings. They're on Baxters' hit n miss list at the beginning of this post but I'd be ordering on line so difficult to tell. Heritage do syncro front ones for £22 wth seals etc but a quick google search revealed some AUDI fans identifying them as reboxers 'assembling in germany'. Anyone have first hand experience?

Cheers
Now rusting away even quicker by the seaside ;-)

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Post by JackE »

Further to my coolant level switch leak, which has now been fixed I have noticed some cracks in the Coolant Expansion Tank part number 025121403B I was wondering if any can recommend a replacement, I could do with it fairly quickly.

Many thanks

Jack
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

VW part number 025121403B, tried VW commercial parts, Stony Stratford or Milton Keynes?

Very common fault... Tried repairing crack with a large soldering iron?
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Post by JackE »

Thanks for the tip will try the soldering iron and get a back up the plastic looks pretty brittle.
Cheers
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

Iridium
80-90 Mem No: 8990

Post by Iridium »

It was 4 years ago and German Swedish French was my favourite one stop shop for van bits. The highstreet type lure to easy T25 shopping, the Halfords for V-dubs.

Slowly but surely the parts I fitted from there needed premature replacement.

Both track rod ball joint rubbers from GSF didn't last from one MOT to the next. i.e. less than a year and approx. 2k miles. Baxter's quality parts are still on for 3 years, no probs.

Steering coupling from GSF was made from edam, bore no resemblance at all to the old vw part. VW had one! for an extra £4.00 and safer to boot. Finally..

GSF waterpump which I naively assumed would be a one time replacement in my ownership, is grumbling and slowly leaking after 9,000 miles. I think that's bad value for money.

I'm no mechanic but a fitter, handy with the spanners on a budget and hoping the part I buy will last. It's hard enough to replace parts with limited experience. I've bought plenty of parts from Brickwerks and all's good. He's done the research and eliminated the quality gamble for the customer.
1984 Camper Tin top DG
1991 Syncro Panel AAZ td

chrisbeck

Post by chrisbeck »

Have had ball joints from GSF in the last six months, On one of them the taper part was to long, and the other the rubber split in four weeks, absolute toss.
Then got a track rod end that was only half threaded, what the hell is going on.
Chris

Naampje

Post by Naampje »

Matsles, you are insane but I love the work you did on this van.... :)

I was very seriously and bored by my own detailed search for good joints when Matsles begins to post his Chuck Norris van.

Hilarious.

But seriously. Anybody here know or has experience with Brax or Sterex?

Thanks in advance!
Rockhard T25 former Dutch army panelvan. 2.0 GTI 8V

Naampje

Post by Naampje »

Just saw Brickwerks had their ideas on Brax on the first page, any ideas on Sterex anyone? Suppoesedly this batch from Brax en Sterex I am looking into is produced in Germany....

Kind regards in advance!
Rockhard T25 former Dutch army panelvan. 2.0 GTI 8V

old korky

Post by old korky »

Hi so anybody tell me who do a good reconditioned wbx engine 2.1.don,t seem to get a clear answer,most companies get good and bad reports ???there is one on ebay but because its ebay youv,e got to be careful not a known company?....you can only throw so much money at it.already been told the engine was GOOD after over heating,had it resprayed and new wheels and lowered thinking that was it (never is i know)on way home from spray shop (5 mile) it went again now its a head gasket and cracked head...........so who do you trust could be the best looking camper in the scrap yard ..... cheers

old korky

Post by old korky »

HI found a local engine shop to take on a rebuild so far so good engine back in.everything seems fine just had it running to bleed cooling system,brickwerks way,sounds nice water level holding not getting hot just nice, going to run local before pushing to far just for piece of mind.had two heads and all bottom end checked plus two barrels fitted on one side.was said that the bottom end was good but had lost one oil ring that damaged one barrel so here's hoping !!!!!

frankb25

Post by frankb25 »

just purchased upper and lower ball joints from VW Heritage - Meyle HD brand.
Thought long and hard about cheap stuff etc but went mid range - esp when the Meyle HD stuff comes with a 4 YEAR guarantee (apparently but time will tell). Will update after some use (if I remember).
1981 2.0 a/c

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

Post by tandemsandy »

As an update, CV joints sold by 'B and B' (ebay) last six months at most.

Had a clutch master cylinder from them approx 2 yrs ago. Is now leaking and needs replaced. Will try Pagid from Euro Car Parts this time.

Rob
Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive

ceetee25
80-90 Mem No: 10951

Post by ceetee25 »

i have just ordered two belts one of which is a cambelt from Mecatechnic France. . Manufacture Optibelt, German manufacture. Will let you know how they do.