surprise surprise another head gasket seems to have blown

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Re: surprise surprise another head gasket seems to have blown

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Sorry for confusion-I meant nuts! Tried Brickwerks for the yellow sealant but they say it only comes from the supplier with the gasket set these days. I've emailed their supplier just in case they've recently had a change of procedure. If not I'll go with the ARP. Is it better to be generous with the application?
Honorary "Dave" 

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

No. Just enough to sqidge out slightly when you torque the nuts. And best to follow the torque sequence pattern. Make sure you get all the pushrods sitting in the followers properly when refitting the rocker shafts.
Unless they were noisy before there's no need to readjust the tappet preloads, just refit as they were - they won't have changed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Found some of the correct yellow sealer, should be here tomorrow.
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Just in case it doesnt work. HAs anyone got an idea of the going rate for a used 2.1
Honorary "Dave" 

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Second hand previously running; bag of sand, with heads. Bottom end only, a monkey.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Cheers Mucker
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

In for repair, failed another sniff test. Before dropping off, I noticed that the pipe from the thermostat to rad wasn't getting hot so I changed the thermostat to a decent one from Brickwerks. The pipe still didn't get hot. Is it likely that combustion gasses getting in, lower the temperature of the coolant so much that the stat wouldn't open?
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

ajsimmo wrote:I wouldn't read much into the compression test unless you have earlier reference readings and something has significantly changed. It certainly doesn't tell you with any certainty which fire ring is leaking. It might be mismatched pistons (I've known them mix used sets) or heads (early heads had a smaller chamber than late).
The reason for so many failures seems to be the gunk they use under and over the fire rings, some white stuff they larrup on which contaminates the sealing area, and ultimately burns/breaks away leaving a breach. Or it might just be a loose head (as on at least 3 vans I've fixed with Engine Shop engines with insufficiently torqued head nuts).

I wouldn't normally recommend it, but in light of your circumstances you could try just retorquing by removing each head nut one by one, clean threads and sealing face, apply sealant and retighten to 50Nm. Then if it works tell the buyer to save up for a reseal/engine. If not, it's cost you bugger all.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Prize for Andrew. I'm told there was loads of white gloop slathered on which has apparently run into the channels. Garage fitted new aluminium gaskets on both sides, another new thermostat,(the new one I'd just fitted didn't work) a couple of exhaust studs needed helicoiling and that's another £930 down the Swannee.
Honorary "Dave"