Leaking automatic box

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Auto
80-90 Mem No: 0

Leaking automatic box

Post by Auto »

Hi can anyone please tell me what's the round plate held in with the big circlip just above were
the dipstick tube goes in to the sump I have a constant leak from there, I could take the circlip
out , is doing this asking for trouble I don't know what's behind it, also I have a rebuild kit but I don't
know if I have the seal in my kit any one knows what it looks like ?
Is this a DIY job or do I need to get some one professional to do it
I've got to do something I've just bought this as a good working replacement box from ebay
Has anyone done this seal before ?
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers phil
:ok

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Leaking automatic box

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

All in the Bentley manual AFAIK.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi sorry I haven't got the Bentley manual I'm afraid I will have to get one
So is it an easy fix ?
Cheers phil

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

PDF copy available to Club Members.
Haven't a clue as I haven't got an automatic box to refer to and can't visualize your problem with the manual alone.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Sounds like the 2nd gear brake band piston cover seal. If it's not a big leak just live with it. I have seen some US owners have done it but it's very easy to let every thing slip. I took mine to Harry Harpics in Southend to fix the same leak and they completely messed it up leading to a full rebuild which they billed me £1300 plus for and which then repeatedly failed and had to be done again by a garage who knew what they were doing at another £1100.
Honorary "Dave" 

Auto

Post by Auto »

Oh no its constantly leaking and it's not even been fitted to my bus yet I've as I've just bought it
and I've spent most of the week cleaning all the mud and oil off it , I ordered the axle flange seals
torque converter seal and governor seal from brickworks to do them as I've replaced them before
on my original gear box and didn't realize it was leaking from there until it was all cleaned up
It sounds like I'm going to have to find some one to fix another gear box
I'm still looking for recommendations if any one knows a good automatic mechanic
Cheers phil

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Where are you mate? It might not be so bad if the box isn't on the van yet. Trawl the Vanagon Forums in the US, autos are common there and I remember there being some good dos and don'ts on changing that seal.
Honorary "Dave" 

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi mate I'm in south Yorkshire and yes I've been checking out the vanagon section
on the samba forum I have seen the article were some one did it and I am considering
may be having a go, if it goes wrong I could always take it to a professional i suppose
I have a rebuild kit but I'm not sure what seals are for what so I don't Know if they
are included in my kit you wouldn't know what they look like would you ?
It would be nice to know I have them before I dismantled it
I must say though I'm a bit apprehensive I've not stripped one down that far before
Scary stuff
Cheers phil

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I have a knackered auto box here if you want one to practise on.I am in Macclesfield if you want to collect it.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

All I got back was a plastic bag of bits, so I don't know what was what. My local garage did rebuild it but it took a few goes (to put right the previous garage's mistakes)which logistically would be a nightmare from Yorkshire. Someone possibly Cobra88 on here rebuilt their own box and would have better advice for you,
Honorary "Dave" 

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi rob yes please I've sent you a PM :ok
Hi sir brixalot yes I'm sure cobra88 will chime in soon he told me were to get the rebuild kits I have
and hopefully with a gearbox to practice on I will be able to try and see what goes were when I try to rebuild mine
Thanks for all the good peoples help on here I will let you all know how it goes when I get round to doing it
Cheers phil