Early DG exhaust

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

charlie328
80-90 Mem No: 0

Early DG exhaust

Post by charlie328 »

After many repairs my silencer has finally had it and am considering the options.

Do I ?
A. Replace piecemeal mild steel parts and if so has anyone had any success in applying a coating/tape that seems to do a good job.
B. Install a shiny stainless kit and which one is best value?

Also can anyone tell me the function of the stock heater J-shaped pipe on the rh side (viewed from rear of bus) which is connected back into the intake system? Mine has rotted away anyway but just considering doing away with it (as the stainless systems do) and what effect this has to blank off the intake inlets that are fed from this component?

Thanks for your help.
Charlie
Charlie
1983 Devon Camper 1.9DG WBX

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Re: Early DG exhaust

Post by fazzer »

The J pipe on exhaust mine rotted away and was told leave it off.If you want an exhaust for life go stainless,my brother has a JK one on his and it does the job but not a great exhaust.

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Just bear in mind that if yours is an early system and you want to fit a later type stainless one you'll need a different engine mount and the 'saddles that the later type silencer sits on.

Not a massive job but something else to consider, I've not seen a stainless 'old style' version ever.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

shepster wrote: I've not seen a stainless 'old style' version ever.
Only the silencer and tailpipe are available stainless, lasts a long time but doesn't stay shiny.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

charlie328
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by charlie328 »

Thanks for the replies.
Anyone have experience of the vw speedshop system? looks the best value stainless one?
So if I pull out the rotten part of the J tube, hoses and blank off the connections it has no effect on the engine?
Charlie
Charlie
1983 Devon Camper 1.9DG WBX

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

No effect.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

charlie328 wrote: Anyone have experience of the vw speedshop system? looks the best value stainless one?

Yep - very good system. And it doesn't use the original saddles, so it can be used to replace an early or a late system.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

I have a custom stainless steel exhaust on the T25 that the previous owner had fitted (£500 8 years ago) - it is still basically perfect (as you'd expect for a quality SS unit.)

I have a Speedshop stainless exhaust on the Bay which is good quality and wasn't too bad to fit and is lasting well - albeit the Bay hardly does any miles!
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Post by trundletruc »

Trying to sort out a reasonable system for my van 1984 (early system)
You cannot get a stainless steel exhaust system of the early type although one was advertised in the Just Campers catalogue this year! When I looked on the internet nothing was there. Rang up and they said it was a mistake. You can get them for the Bay window type but they have the heat exchangers for the heater.
Thought about changing to the later system as I have the later engine mountings and exhaust cover plate, but have decided to stick with the early system and replacing a couple of pipes. I already have the early stainless exhaust box so the expense would be unjustified.
I wondered if the later system was more efficient, as VW had gone to the trouble of adding lots of extra pipes, but have been told it is not worth the bother as the modification was just so they could get all the pipes into one for the lambda sensor and pollution requirements?
Perhaps Just Campers will get a stainless system made up, cannot be that difficult as I think its the same as the Bay window without the heat exchangers and an extra box for the carb. preheat.Then I can convert the pipes.
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

the later one was changed to help eliminate the hot spot on pot one ..... and it does not hang all the weight on the exhaust studs
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

I had a VW Speedshop one fitted in July, as my j tube downpipe rotten. Nice sound to the system, the only issue is to wisely choose your installer, as you will probably will have a stud issue!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Please fit this and all your problems will go away and it’ll outlive the bus, no brainier.

https://vwspeedshop.com/product.php?pro ... 499&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have this on my ‘84, flawless.

The late system/factory is a right faff.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... steel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I like the look of the full speed shop exhaust, just replaced the back box on mine which is mild steel and cost a lot but I can weld it up if I need to in the future. I've just got the van through the mot with no advisories on the exhaust so I won't be worrying about it for a while.
1983 DG Kamper 2

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

bigherb wrote:
shepster wrote: I've not seen a stainless 'old style' version ever.
Only the silencer and tailpipe are available stainless, lasts a long time but doesn't stay shiny.

I've got a stainless silencer myself but as you point out no FULL system available in the same style, speedshop one seems to get good reviews.

I've got a DJ engine in mine with the oil cooler fitted and have always wondered if using the smaller oil filter would be a problem?
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.