New starter still giving problems

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

burnzdog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: New starter still giving problems

Post by burnzdog »

Hi Chaps,

I thought I'd reopen this thread as I am still intermittently having this issue. Not every time but every now again when she is warm she just won’t start. Giving the starter a punch with a hammer usually gets it going. Usual symptoms, engine at temperature, stop for fuel, turn key and nothing but a click. Any other ideas on what else could be done to solve this inconvenient issue.

Thanks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Problems when warm indicates increased resistance in a cable, probably caused by a loom breakage.

Check the earth connections you have already done and then do the same on the +ve side, from the battery to the starter. Ignition switches can be problematic too.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

OK will do, what I also noticed th elast time it done this I was able to get it to start by playing with the key rotation and the click, which felt more like it was ignition based.

937carrera wrote:Problems when warm indicates increased resistance in a cable, probably caused by a loom breakage.

Check the earth connections you have already done and then do the same on the +ve side, from the battery to the starter. Ignition switches can be problematic too.

hubcap61
80-90 Mem No: 16853

Post by hubcap61 »

I had a problem a few years ago with the ignition switch breaking down. Fitted a starter relay. Not had any issues since.
Mounted mine just inside engine bay. Available to buy ready to fit online. Easy to install.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t2 ... relay-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 Caravelle 1.9 DG 34 DAT
2002 Audi TT 225 BAM.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Two good suggestions above here. ^^ :ok
Hard start relay solved my issue. 30-60 minutes fitting time depending on skill level.
Camper now starts like a modern car. Keep battery and leads in top condition as well.

One other issue from earlier camper. The starter battery earth terminal was grounding to seat rail. It was leaping across cos had nowhere else to go after starter failed.
Scared the stuffing out of Maxine. She was recording multimeter to battery reading and turning ignition key at the time.
I was under van with a hammer laughing me bounce off.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Thanks both. I did install the relay which definitely made a difference just not completely solved. The problem occurred after having a new 2.1 DJ installed. Never had the issue before that. Need to try and isolate the problem. Found this link which also offers some handy ways to do just that.

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Thanks both. I did install the relay which definitely made a difference just not completely solved. The problem occurred after having a new 2.1 DJ installed. Never had the issue before that. Need to try and isolate the problem. Found this link which also offers some handy ways to do just that.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

A relay to operate a relay (which is what a starter solenoid does) never made a lot of sense to me, better to solve the underlying problem rather than mask it. But you now have time to address that

:ok

New information, having a new engine fitted created the problem, so something to do with that engine swap. I would definitely be looking at engine earths and alternator connections more closely

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

937carrera wrote:A relay to operate a relay (which is what a starter solenoid does) never made a lot of sense to me, better to solve the underlying problem rather than mask it. But you now have time to address that

New information, having a new engine fitted created the problem, so something to do with that engine swap. I would definitely be looking at engine earths and alternator connections more closely

Agree. Earth straps. One on gearbox. Another on engine block going to side wall below coil. Clean everything thoroughly or renew. My engine earth strap looked okay. But an off the vehicle close scrutiny showed masses of corrosion.
MaxStu

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Will check the straps and maybe take some pics to see what you think. Thanks

maxstu wrote:
937carrera wrote:A relay to operate a relay (which is what a starter solenoid does) never made a lot of sense to me, better to solve the underlying problem rather than mask it. But you now have time to address that

Agree. Earth straps. One on gearbox. Another on engine block going to side wall below coil. Clean everything thoroughly or renew. My engine earth strap looked okay. But an off the vehicle close scrutiny showed masses of corrosion.

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Hi,

Quick question. I took a photo of earth strap in engine as it does look a little discoloured. I wonder at what point should you renew? Also when it comes to the bolt that acres into side of the engine bay as the other side isn't accessible I'm assuming there isn't a bolt on the other side waiting to fall off if I undo?

file
file
Capture.JPG (86.43 KiB) Viewed 2359 times

burnzdog wrote:Will check the straps and maybe take some pics to see what you think. Thanks

maxstu wrote:

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

I can't remember, but earth straps are normally into captive bolts on the body, usually on the engine side too. If there's a nut involved it will likely turn without undoing

Put a good quality jump lead from chassis to engine. If the problem disappears then that earth strap isn't good enough.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

That's how my engine earth cable looked. Going slightly green between the wires. No captive nut I think. Just a cut thread in panel. Cut a new one with a self tapper and using an impact gun...but make a small pilot drill hole first....about 3mm. Then clean away a little paint with sandpaper. Clean both ends thoroughly too.
MaxStu

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I fitted an extra earth strap to the gearbox but I've never had one in the engine bay, Where on the engine would it have been attached
Honorary "Dave" 

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Sir Brixalot wrote:I fitted an extra earth strap to the gearbox but I've never had one in the engine bay, Where on the engine would it have been attached

Its normal set up for DJ2.1. Not sure if same for auto and manual gears though. Same place as DG earth cables; from engine block to fire wall near coil.
MaxStu