1.9 DG - Attempting a full rebuild...

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Re: 1.9 DG - Attempting a full rebuild...

Post by T25Convert »

Warning – epic posting, get a brew now if you plan to read all the way to the end!

Taking advantage of the first non-rainy weekend day in ages I decided it was time to get the engine back in the van.

First job was to get the old clutch operating arm out, and the new one in. So, first remove the lever that is a ‘slide fit’ onto eth operating arm: - here is an exceptionally dark picture!

Tried a puller, tried brute force, tried heat, tried the puller again, tried even bigger brute force, but it was not coming off. It appeared the end was slightly mushroomed (before the brute force I must add), so out with the hacksaw, popped it in a vice and got the big hammer out, but driving from the cut side:

New operating arm from a reputable supplier didn’t fit – the shaft was too big to fit in the hole in the gearbox housing, Taking a flat file to it showed that the end was effectively concave, as the file didn’t touch the middle. Went through a careful ‘file and trial’ process until it fitted and operated smoothly. Here’s a pic of the finished filed profile – note the very high quality weld too!

I hate it when new parts are poorly made / finished, especially when you order from one of the supposedly better suppliers!

Next to tidy up the engine bay – here it is mid clean, just sorting out the wiring to get rid of the variuos bodges, and to remove the single carb manifold heater, cut off solenoid etc etc.

Next step is to drag the engine out of the garage and slide it in.

Main hassle, lift it high enough off the ground to get the jack under, when you are by yourself and you don’t have an engine crane. My (probably dangerous and foolish) method is to take a piece of nylon rope, a big bit of wood and a steel bar. Make a loop in the rope, sling it over the wood and twist the steel bar in the middle of the loop. As you twiddle the rope tightens, shortens and lifts it off the ground... Just make sure the rope is thick enough and can take the weight. A piece of wire fed through the hole in the steel bar means you can tie the bar up and hence retain tension. DO NOT GO UNDER THE ENGINE WHEN IT IS HELD LIKE THIS!!

Jack under and going up (I still keep tension on the top rope at this point just in case it falls off:

In and bolted up (dark picture it was getting dark by this point):

Note that as you slide it back in it can ‘stick’ as the clutch plate tries to slide onto the splines of the gearbox shaft – a quick turn of the engine can help it slide on more easily...

Process halted for the day whilst I had to turn my had to some light panel works on my neighbours Corsa where one of my roof tiles blew off and went straight through the bonnet... Bother.

Sunday I had a look at the interim engine I had put in, bought off a 80-90 member. 10 points for anyone who can tell me what’s wrong with this DG head –

That’s right, it’s got round DF inlet holes in (wouldn’t have known the difference before I started this project!). So I have two DF heads, but late style bearings and the second oil pressure switch by the filter. It also has low oil pressure when hot, and when you turn it over the crank goes in and out, in and out, so the end float varies depending on crank position! Not the best investment I ever made. Any takers for a door stop / paperweight!? Anyone buy scrap engines?

Quick question, does anyone know what size threads the manifold heater thermo switch is (doesn’t match any of my assorted bolts – fine pitch?) as I don’t need it and would like to blank it off.

So left to do – finish the wiring, paint and replace engine tin, connect up the hoses, pop on back box, set static timing and set up Dellortos (order going in Friday (payday!))

Thoughts have turned to running in. Two schools of thought on t’internet:

1) Drive it like a nun, let everything bed in gently

2) Drive it harder to develop cylinder pressure and bed rings

Both make sense when you read them, what do people do? Is prolonged idling an issue as need to get it MOT’d as soon as its running, which will be at least ½ an hour on the ramps at idle!

If you made it to here, congratulations on your stamina....

Cheers,

Alex
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

Been a bit slack with this of late, distracted this time by a daily driver issue - a new radiator in an astra - only have to remove the front bumper, air con, headlight, crash bar and a few other random bits and bobs - looked like it had been in a front end smash by the end of it:

Made me actually look forward to working on the van again.

Some more light cleaning and painting - the engine 'tin' this time:

and then this arrived (with a matching friend, linkage bar and manifolds):

That's the weekend sorted I think!

Cheers,

Alex

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Mmm after the amazing job you did on the engine i couldn't help noticing that engine bay was not up to the usual standard :D

could that switch be the same as an oil pressure switch at m10x1?

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... early.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try measuring the od and pitch will be a big clue ( measure several threads and divide for better accuracy)

Dont chuck those heads these are a few die hard df lovers out there and parts are scarce :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

Hi,

Right, carburettor choice next.

Was going for a set of DRLA's, however neither Stateside nor Eurocarb had any in stock. Stateside offered a set of recon Webber IDF's instead but prices were quite high (but fair I'm sure).

Alfa1750 on Ebay would have sorted me out (but having now been stung on all sorts of second hand car parts on Ebay wasn't really prepared to go down that route.

So, took the plunge and got a set on the Empi HPMX IDF knock-offs. Read all the reviews first, which are a bit of a mixed bag, and made sure that I got a second generation set (which are allegedly much better than the first generation which had serious issues).

First out the box setup same as any other dual carbs – first float heights – closed:

And open:

Bag of bits, but not much by way of instructions:

Starting to make sense now:

Sorted (well kind of, not on the van!)

Now for reasons unknown if you buy a kit with manifolds and linkage, it’s cheaper than buying just the carbs, but you get a set of T1 manifolds. Had play with these first to see how the whole lot went together:

Trial fitting shows they are way too high (as expected):

Spare manifolds gave me a chance to drill lots of holes in them though, to try practicing vacuum takeoff fitment. There is no area thick enough to tap, so gone down the epoxy ‘instant metal’ type approach – 1st trial:

Once set I could not get the two bits apart, even with a hammer, so pleased with this.

Next problem, manifolds.

The CSP WBX manifolds are no longer available from Machine 7 or Heritage, who both say they are discontinued. The T3 stubby manifolds are the right height, but have a round T1 style hole on the bottom like so:

You can see what needs to be ‘made up’ and what needs to be taken off.

Eurocrab do a convertor, but with this you have to use the stubby air filters and no velocity stacks.

So, after some exploratory works on the spare manifold and the purchase of a BIG file, I did this:

It looks a bit ropey, but it is fine in real life, and the two ports are nice and square – the reflection makes them look wonky here! Once filed the ‘infill’ at the edges proved to be very minor, so a little more epoxy used here. Tested it, and it is fine in petrol, remaining harder than the aluminium alloy the manifolds are made from.

Then spent a happy hour with a tiny flap wheel and polish on a dremel making the whole lot sparkle – here is one part way there:

Fitted the whole lot on the van, by which time it was dark, so no photos!

Just need to sort out the last few bits and pieces and it will be ready to fire up!

Cheers,

Alex

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

Its alive!

http://youtu.be/RIbtS3ua7Lc

It sounds a bit on the loud side as its not tuned and the exhaust is leaking (partly because I failed to tighten the clamps on the J tube to silencer connection!) but it idles and revs smoothly.

However, the water pump has sprung a leak, and water is trickling out of the small weep hole beneath the impeller shaft. Why would a pump that didn't leak start leaking just because I'd taken it off and put it back on- AARRGH! Its going to be a pain to get it back off again...

Thanks all for the help to date to get to this stage, you've all been more helpful than the Haynes!

Cheers,

Alex

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

:ok :ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

well done :ok

I had a pump that was good a few months ago and just went to spin it at the weekend and it's siezed.

I can only assume that the seal fails and coolant doesn't kill the bearing immediately but once exposed to air it corrodes.

I think my pump is on it's way I have just bought a spare and plan to take the crank pulley off this time as it looks much easier that way.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

It lives, lets have another vid once everything is tightened up :ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

RCN
80-90 Mem No: 9776

Post by RCN »

Just to say thanks for doing this. Used this to strip don my old engine with the idea to rebuild when i have the time/cash. Have a replacement engine in there now , but would want to have the original
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.

campervanplan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by campervanplan »

Hi did your engine seize. Thanks