The SA 2.6i Microbus thread

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: The SA 2.6i Microbus thread

Post by silverbullet »

Enough of that nonsense! I've been giving no small amount of thought as to how the weekend arrangements can be made more comfortable in this bus, as the raised hatch does not make for a good night's kip :evil:
After a lot of scribbling and measuring, casting ideas aside as too messy/complicated/dangerous etc. I realized that the way forward was to take inspiration from earlier Type 2 layouts, with their very high engine decks. These always seemed to use the buddy seats to make up part of the bed...
So first up, reverse the centre bench so the kids can face each other on journeys:

My cunning plan is to mount the 2-seat middle row on a second set of r'n'r hinges (that I just happen to have knocking around) with a roll-cage spec. cross-tube behind the front seats to carry the backrest catches and seatbelt mounts. With the 2-seat smack in the middle, the end mounting points will be just outside of the fuel tank and chassis rails :D
I also plan to make a pair of "pannier" type storage boxes for each side of the bench, to cover up the hinge mechanism and keep fingers out. There will be a locker under the bench too. All of the touring junk can go over the engine and this will double up as the field kitchen (which is what I prefer to do anyway)
Must get an awning made up for the tailgate!

More measuring with the r'n'r in both seat and bed positions revealed a deficit of about 50mm betweeen the cushions, as it throws forward just about 300mm (so I need 600-620mm here) :(

But further investigation revealed that most seat squabs are not as deep as the rear bench anyway...so a little adjustment of the foam and a spot of re-stitching down at the trim shop should sort that out.
Then I got stuck into the seat frame and hinges (a touch of deja-vu here)

I've got the remains of a Euro-spec centre bench plinth that can be butchered to mount the r'n'r hinges on, if the SA tubular frame is no use.

I'll have a go at the backrest section tomorrow (if I'm good and allowed out to the man-cave to play) :mrgreen:

carpmaster
80-90 Mem No: 7658

Post by carpmaster »

Interesting shots of a cardboard box....what's in it??..a choclate cake for the Mrs? Man Cave time.... :mrgreen:
I will be keen to see what you do...I will have to think of something soon...
Tom

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Cheeky! 12 litres of SX 75W90 actually.

E D I T Plus I thought that a few of you might like to see the inside of a big-window SA bus before I make it all non-standard :wink:

Did a bit more this avo (after dog walking, a run to the tip and some outside gloss painting while the sun shines...)

Cover and foam removed from the centre bench frame, with r'n'r hinges plonked on top:

With a bit of trimming to remove the superfluous bits and some new brackets to mount the hinges, it's coming together nicely! Note the construction, quite different from German-made "sine-wave" sprung seating (SA rear bench backrest stood next to it)

The base frame is not exactly Superleggera, it's too heavy for that! But it is strong and has integrated seatbelt mounts.

Now for the big decision: how to lock the backrest securely and safely. I've got varous bits of Caravelle bench frames, must be able to put something together! If I can make it lock internally and without side catches and pegs mounted on a cross-tube between the B posts, then I'll be very happy indeed.
Last edited by silverbullet on 08 Mar 2012, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

how about some body mods to match the new engine, and then may be a 4wd system

http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlepixel/4061903019/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I love that one! Maybe for the silver bus, I've got to get the front arches rolled anyway...

:ok

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Blimey this backrest is going on a bit. Trying to get sufficient torsional stiffness without it weighing a ton is a challenge...VWSA did it by simply putting one tube inside another, making it stupidly heavy. The tubular base plinth is still no lightweight but it'll do for now.

I've stripped down an old twin-slider centre row to the frame and that's featherweight in comparison!

So I've cut the sides off and replaced with 2 x 20mm square tubes stitched together (instead of the usual channel section) then I'll ladder frame the back with some 32 square. That'll stop it twisting and be safe, the hard bit is welding it up flat and square!

I think I've sussed the locking catch problem, more pics later...

Desperate to get it to the trimmer's now. Must not rush the engineering! :wink:

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

A few hours today, here and there. I felt it was high time for a mock-up, just to double-check the general arrangement. 600mm of shared legroom for 5 passengers with staggered seating:

It started to rain...but the bed will finish up at 1.9 metres (even with shortened base cushions) so I'm well pleased!

Backrest now reinforced with 32 square x 1.5 ERW and stiff as a very stiff thing on a frosty morning :D

I really wanted to use the SA multivan-style backrest catches, but they are just too bulky to squeeze into the corners, so I'll go for simple and effective with these old 'velle ones and a bar to link them (that now looks like it will just fit under the backrest cover):

Still to do: Make a pair of nut plates to fix the backrest (and straighten one bent pivot); work out the base mounting points in the floor; position the hinge mounting bosses on the base; then maybe it's time to go and butter up the trim shop...this might actually work out!
Last edited by silverbullet on 07 Mar 2012, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

It's so close to finished I can almost taste the beer on the beach!

Nut plates to fix the backrest. I went a bit mad on the drilling just to lose a bit of weight as they are solid 5/8" square:

Slider side showing the strut that will be welded on both sides, to stop the hinge frame flexing in the event of a "big one" and to tie it to the base frame. That will be vertical btw:

Offside. The handle will be accessible to adults, but not too easy for meddling fingers to find when travelling:

I've got a selection of springs from a damaged twin-slider centre row (that's now stripped down to components) to make sure it stays latched!
Last edited by silverbullet on 07 Mar 2012, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Well that didn't work :(

Too much free play (0.5mm) at the catch = about 25-30mm movement at the top of the backrest :shock:

It's also got far too heavy, so it's for the weigh-in.

I've still got the spare SA backrest and catches, so I'll be looking at those again. Looks like there will have to be triangulated tubework involved after all, but it's got to be safe.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I realized that the only way to do this is to start with a drawing, build a simple plywood jig and then make the side frames. So I did a bit of a survey of the hinge fixing points on the bodyshell:

This has enabled me to do a basic materials list; about 2.9m of tube per side (allowing for mitres etc) plus a middle sub-frame for the seatbelts, so I'm looking at 2 lengths of tube for the job (they come in at 6m long) It will all be boarded and carpeted over so it shouldn't look too bad once done.

Then it'll be woodwork time before the next bout of tube welding so that these find a home on the "spare" backrest which I now need to narrow down :roll:

In the meantime, I shall attend to the - now critical - oil leak. I weas convinced that it was the clutch-end crank seal but now it looks like the oil interwarmer seal has been in the process of giving up, no harm done but quite a mess on the drive...thankfully I got to my local TPS before they shut and it's still a current part. I didn't even need to give the staffer a part number, he knew what I was on about :D

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

Forgive my ignorance Ian, but what is the oil interwarmer when it is at home. Mine has a small drip at the clutch end (unlike the big drip holding the steering wheel) so perhaps I need to check it out. Your part guys response seems to suggest it is a common problem (whatever it is)!

B. :?
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I call it the interwarmer as it's not much cop as a cooler :lol: It's the little square alloy thing between the block and the oil filter, two 1/2" ish hoses for coolant feed/return. There's a special 'O' ring that seals it to the block, they are known to leak with old age and both parts are common to a huge number of VW inline engines, plus the wbx's fitted with a cooler.
Because of where it is on these SA engines, a leak can travel down the block, around the sump flange (fore and aft), get blown about by airflow and generally make a right old mess!

DentedDevon
80-90 Mem No: 1747

Post by DentedDevon »

Very nice drawing , sometimes the best way to work things out.
Also cardboard and drawing pins to work out moving parts ("Alan Staniforths "string computer")
:ok
1986 Devon Caravette, Subaru 2.5 Quad Cam

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Thanks! I don't often draw these days, but definitely the way for this job. Alan Staniforth :ok (must get latest edition, my 2nd Ed. is looking a bit old skool now)

Exxon Valdez disaster latest:

I dropped the undertrays and had a look to see if my suspicions were correct. Nearside had oil everywhere combined with the now-familiar fine red sand compacted into every void and pocket. I'd already started mopping down but it had clearly been leaking for longer than I realized, judging by the black treacle:

Offside. I managed to get the filler tube lock ring pulled up a little, time will tell if it stops weeping. I think the breather has got a crack around the top, looks like it's blowing vapour out (top right) but I think it's the same as diesel one:

This one's for Brian. The "interwarmer":

Just look at the state of the cooler oil seal! Someone clearly thought that a bead of polyurethane would shore up a brick-hard rubber ring:

For the sake of a £3 part... :roll: Then I spent another hour cleaning the undertrays, scraping off the oil, sludge, mud, gravel, rodent remains etc.

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

Thanks for confirming that Ian. Checked mine to make sure there are no leaks. No, no leaks 'cus theres no inter-wotsit either. Evidently it is the massive increase in engine capacity on the later buses that makes one necessary. :rofl
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.