Rear wheel bearings and other issues

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Re: Rear wheel bearings and other issues

Post by fairwynds »

Update:
not alot of time today but managed to separate the driveshafts from the CVs and stub axles. Also removed the rear brake backplates. There is some corrosion there, but this can be plated/welded in due course.
They will go off to be shot blasted first though.
Looking forward to dismantling and cleaning up the CV joints, and inspecting them before repacking... :)

Trailing arms stubbornly still on the van, but have had the mechanic round for a peek earlier, and he reckons the one rounded/rusted nut will split in half with a sharp blow from a chisel and hammer; we shall see!

Lastly today....just spent a few more of the hard earnt £££s lining Mr Baxters pocket :mrgreen:

(oh, and just spoken to my big sis on the phone, she's gone and bought a T4 Autohomes camper! Well, as I said to her, it's a start!!!)
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

...have now separated driveshafts from CV joints. Greasy mess! Pressing out old wheels bearings tomorrow, then can begin the restoration of parts. Am reliably informed to keep the CV bearings in their respective 'holes' rather than pop them out and mix them up!
Also getting a *&%^kin BIG disc cutter tomorrow to sort those trailing arms!
Until then..... :roll:
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

Just a quick update today - roll on the weekend for a bit more time!
Pressed out the old bearings, no problems there..
...and have started to clean up the stub axles.
CVs cleaned, awaiting inspection (had no noise issues with them, so hopefully just a repack and new gaiters...

Had a BIG disc cutter lent to me today - so those trailing arms WILL come off at the weekend! :shock:
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Good luck :ok
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

I presume someone has mentioned that very often rear wheel (bearing) play, is not the bearings themselves, but ovalisation of the hub at the inner housing... ? Just though I might save you a bit of a shock when/if you've done them and the play is still there :wink:

Check whether the reason you are changing the bearings is play in the vertical plane without equivalent rock or play in the lateral plane. If affirmative, new bearings alone unlikely to effect a cure. Also some in/out (axial) play is also frequently evident, and acceptable at MOT time allegedly
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

HarryMann wrote:I presume someone has mentioned that very often rear wheel (bearing) play, is not the bearings themselves, but ovalisation of the hub at the inner housing... ? Just though I might save you a bit of a shock when/if you've done them and the play is still there :wink:

Check whether the reason you are changing the bearings is play in the vertical plane without equivalent rock or play in the lateral plane. If affirmative, new bearings alone unlikely to effect a cure. Also some in/out (axial) play is also frequently evident, and acceptable at MOT time allegedly

HM
cheers. I had read on the Wiki and also on on a vid clip by Jed, about that. The offside one had a bit of play which I first noticed a month or so ago, when wheel was raised diuring a rear brake service. It was evident when I grabbed and rocked the wheel with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock, as a bit at 3 and 9 o'clock too. The nearside one was ok, but Im refurbing both sides so its being replaced anyway (glutton for punishment!)
Will check the tolerances and also use stud/bearing fit fluid when I reassemble.
The play you refer too - 'ovalisation of the hub at the inner housing' - do you mean the shaft itself, or inside the bearing carrier?
Thanks for your input. :ok
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Inside the bearing carrier, the degree of ovality seems almost immeasurable, yet the leverage rocks that bearing about marginally thus the wheel noticeably in the vertical plane... good idea to use Bearing Fit. Also ensure there are no burrs on inside or outside edges of the shoulder that the bearing is pressed up against.
Pretty sure the shaft itself not be guilty unless the whole shebang has been driven with hub nut under-torqued but unlikely.

If anyone has any other theories on where the play comes from, fire away, but so far the above seems the gospel and also seems reasonable
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

...ahh, thank you everso. Will update over weekend..
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

So, the trailing arms are off (see other thread!) and Ive pressed out the bushes. Will give the arms a bit of a clean up, and will have to remove the suspension sprong mount (both sides) to allow the new ones to be fitted (waiting for a reply from the galvanizing co re whether to have them welded on first, or after, and then spot grid and weld the 6 x contact points).
In meantime Ive spent this morning cleaning off 26 yrs of accumulated crud and rust off the stub axles and prop shafts etc:-

Drive shafts and wheel carriers degreased and waiting for sanding and painting:

Hubs and axles waiting for paint:

One of the hubs during the clean up - what a cruddy job!

...I will be investing in a large tin of Hammerite now....... :D
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Great info/pics :ok Thanks for sharing :D
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

16vmini
80-90 Mem No: 9014

Post by 16vmini »

i assume the hub can come off with out removing the drive shaft completly ? i have some brickwerks camber plates to fit behind the hub ...

Matt
Rusty Westy : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / http://www.16vmini.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

Mickyfin wrote:Great info/pics :ok Thanks for sharing :D

Cheers mate - maybe the pics will help and/inspire others to get grubby! lol
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

fairwynds

Post by fairwynds »

16vmini wrote:i assume the hub can come off with out removing the drive shaft completly ? i have some brickwerks camber plates to fit behind the hub ...

Matt

yes they can... have you seen Jed's video 'how to' via the Wiki? That was a great help to me...
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

16vmini
80-90 Mem No: 9014

Post by 16vmini »

fairwynds wrote:
16vmini wrote:i assume the hub can come off with out removing the drive shaft completly ? i have some brickwerks camber plates to fit behind the hub ...

Matt

yes they can... have you seen Jed's video 'how to' via the Wiki? That was a great help to me...

no :oops:
Rusty Westy : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / http://www.16vmini.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

16vmini wrote:
fairwynds wrote:

Matt

no :oops:

I didnt realize it was on there either :lol:

Here it is anyway, http://campervanculture.com/2011/07/jed ... on-syncro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is nothing more satisfying than cleaning a crusty hub. I popped over to Lloydys house last week to show him how to change the rear bearings on his 16" Syncro and his were exceptionally crusty. He can now do the other side himself and show someone else, they can then show someone else and thats what CampervanCulture is all about right?

jed

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More