Carat alloy tyres sizes

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dazzler441
80-90 Mem No: 10099

Re: Carat alloy tyres sizes

Post by dazzler441 »

The problem is the change of thickness at the centre of the wheel. The standard steelie has a very thin centre whereas the carat alloys are a lot thicker. I can vouch that the standard studs are not long enough, as the nuts i purchased only just grip the wheel (2 turns). The tyre place would not let me drive away with the alloys on and I had put the steelies back on. I have looked on eBay and you can get 66 or 76 mm studs, but I do not want them sticking out of the end of the alloy. I will measure them today and let you know.
This is all new to me, please be gentle. 1989 Reimo High Top Conversion, manual 5-speed, 2.1 petrol.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Nice one dazzler441 :ok

You would have thought the guy at Brickwerks would have mentioned that to me on the phone when I rang him :roll:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Sorry but you are wrong.No doubt you tried to use the standard nuts (radiused) On the alloys.The standard rear studs are long enough.You need tapered nuts not the standard radiused ones.That the steel wheels use.As for the fronts you will need to get either tapered bolts or better still a front stud conversion kit.

I can vouch that the standard studs are not long enough, as the nuts i purchased only just grip the wheel
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

I'm afraid I agree with Rob....standard rear studs allow a reasonable 7-8 full turns on tapered nuts, thats around 11mm of thread on 1.5 pitch (think they are 14mm on 1.5 pitch)
Ideally I would prefered them to be a little longer but I can't remember option Carats requiring a stud change at the dealership.
I've had mine on 4 years with standard studs and I did have one near miss with a wheel coming loose but it was a front bolt not a rear nut and my fault after the wheels had been painted and not rechecked after a few days.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Ah well that is good news for me and the O.P. (JNW) and it explains why when I ordered my tapered nuts and bolts, the guy at brickwerks did not say owt about longer studs :)

@ JNW - the links for the tapered nuts and bolts is further up this thread.

Looking forward to getting our main van back from the body shop and fitting my Carat wheels :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here