Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Syncro xrissvagon

Post by Plasticman »

Well more lead investigations.but first the o/s,now polished ready for tinning
deleted them by mistake but this is done
Now to the n/side
this shows where it would appear that muck and water off boots etc starts to do its thing
there is a very small bit of corrosion here and I am going to cut the bad bit off and prep and lead it, not worth disturbing everything with a piece put in, you should be able to see the shiny area which is the lead thats been there from day one
it will also be here on this area as well
this is now cleaned up ready for tinning
tinned
done
So this is the welding rot type stuff done, well as far as I can see with the exception of the o/s/r arch which will happen shortly :wink:
M

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well I have cut the skin of the now scrap nsf door to show what the insides of a door with electric glass/mirror and locking, with a view to them going in the WIKI for reference. then went and deleted half of them so i will post up the few I have and then for badness I am going to nip out and reassemble the bliddy thing and take the picks again. :twisted:
This shows the support for the mirror,that is fixed to the frame, the skin sits hard against this
this next picky shows the inside of the skin, the reinforcing stiffener is only fastened to the frame at the bottom,
at the top it relies on being sandwiched between the inner stiffener and the mirror itself.
it can be seen that in this case a 'riv nut' has been used to affix the 3rd screw as used with the other types of mirror, electric etc. given that this is an original door with the electric mirrors fitted then they must have been an afterthought by vw as Im sure they would have provided a 3 point inner support?
The stiffener on the left side was turned at a right angle and welded to the main door frame, I have just sliced through it for ease of removal.
right now to go put the door back together...
M

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Back together loose.
this shows the complete inner shell with all the fittings
this is the lock solenoid. ive held it with fasteners but they are secured with self tappers x 3
this shows the top and the actuating rod that goes up to the lift peg and also into the lock mechanism
in this picky you will see the plastic part that holds the rod from the internal lift button to the lock, where I have indicated with the screewy there is a littl peg on the side of the plaggy part, this locates behind the metal slot and helps keep it from falling out,
this shows the door stay, there is a plastic cover that fits over it, I have removed it for the picky
this is the underside of the opening 1/4 light showing the pivot, these need a bit of lube on them , and making sure the pinch screw is not loose or missing
this is the bottom of the 1/4 frame and also the front sliding glass guide, note the winder sheath goes on the inside of the channel
this is the winder motor and g'box
this is the bottom of the lift mech,it bolts through the frame 10mm spanner as are all the nut/bolts on here
and this is the top part that the glass bolts to.
That sort of concludes it, bit picky heavy but if it helps figure how and where stuff should go, especiallt if you are looking to add lecky stuff.
mike :ok

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

Very handy pics Mike as i'm soon to swap doors..seals...trim...stuff only take half hour tops :rofl :roll:
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Great update, and good work, photos will certainly come in useful as reference for other members here Im sure :ok
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well back to it today after recent van hunting expedition.
Brushed seam sealnt on the underside of the variouse repairs, this is the os seatbelt mount
The os door which was part stripped due to the type of paint applied has now had the last of it removed
and
note that the factory pimed finish is still intact except where it was ground off in a previous poor repaint
this door is 99.9%rust free, in other words perfect, just had loads of carp paint on it.
This is the ns B post that was a little out of line as per the earlier picky, now all pulled out and in primer
This is the ns footwell which was leaded up now etched and primed
and this is the slightly worse os
This will all be flatted off again next week hopefully when we start to paint it propper, but for now it will keep the surface rust from having a go, biggest holdup is waiting for a juicy item :D
mike :ok

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Sorry I've not sent your juicy burger yet :rofl Jon.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Good work, I will be tackling a hole that has formed in my passenger side step mat retainer holes. Got some VACTAN at the ready which I will apply after sanding down.
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Nij
80-90 Mem No: 10199

Post by Nij »

looking VERY good work mate

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

thanks for posting mike... great pictures.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Thank you,
dont worry Kev, how does the song go ... One day at a time sweet j......... or is it Your day will come :rofl
m

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well this is the bit of panal under the slider runner, leaded up and treated
the tailgate around the vw badge had a right delve in it , near on 1/4" of filler so pulled that out , not 100% but just a thin skim wil see it right
Awaiting a parcel or two now
M

jimpainter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jimpainter »

Looking good.................as usual. :ok
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

Can't wait to see this one, a very tasty van I thought and knowing that she will be solid sounds so much better than guessing as i do with parts of mine that have not yet been touched by the welder-grinder. Cheers for your dedication to our learning and keeping you invested. Tim
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker