1.9dg Firing Order

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Seamus
80-90 Mem No: 7041

1.9dg Firing Order

Post by Seamus »

Hi all,

can I just double check that the firing order on a 1.9dg engine is as follows...

Looking at engine from pully/dynamo

topright = 1
bottom right 2
top left = 3
bottom left - 4

Last wekend I fitted a new K&N air filter to her and taking her out for a spin today we have just started to get idling problems (stalls when you put the cluth in). Thinking that all that was needed was an adjustment to the idle control and I gave everything a good clean, and then looked for the said control valve (however still yet to find it), now she wont start and coughs and spits. When cleaning and checking the dizzy I think I may have accidently turned it or have mixed up the plug leads during cleaning.

If thats the case then whats the easiest way to get it back in line, searching in google I found someone took out the plug from pot 1 and inserted a long screwdriver into the hole, then slowly handturned the engine until the screwdriver was at its highest protruding point then wherever the rotor arm was pointing on the dizzy indicated that was where plug lead 1 went etc...

any thoughts anyone?

Sean

Sean

http://www.scalereproductions.co.uk

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: 1.9dg Firing Order

Post by Aidan »

firing order is 1, 4,3,2
you are correct as to which is which
if you take the cap off the disi there is a mark on the top edge of the disi case for approx number 1 at about 4 oclock you can check you are on the timing by turning engine so that rotor arm points to this mark and the tdc timing mark on the pulley should be roughly in line with the engine case join, note this is approximate, but if the disi is removed and it's manually set to this it should start and the timing can then be done properly when the engine is warm
so the number 1 lead is the one at about 4 oclock, 4 is 7 oclock, 3 is 10 oclock and 2 is one oclock approximately.
occasionally the timing is 180degrees out cos some numpty put the disi drive in the wrong way round, common on rebuilt engines

clartsonly
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clartsonly »

1 and 2 are seperated by a clip, make sure you are not out by 90 degrees
Dylan = C Reg 1986 T25 1900 Water Cooled..

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

put the disi drive in the wrong way round
or the dizzy was rebuilt with the drive 180 degs out.
member 1168

nrxx
80-90 Mem No: 6495

Post by nrxx »

My dizzy had been rebuilt with the drive dog replaced 180 deg out. Simplest answer, other than remove and dismantle dizzy drive shaft end was to move all the plug leads by 180deg clockwise when looking down on dizzy from rear.

Good luck.
Nick

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

mines 180 out.. and it's not a bother

AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)