GTi Exhaust photos attached

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: GTi Exhaust photos attached

Post by poshbuggers »

My van is being fitted with a 2.0l AGG 8V GTI engine at the moment.

I'm using this adapter - straight onto the manifold (and with a receptacle for a lambda sensor).

You can fit it and use a JX silencer and pipe. I've aslo seen the WBX silencer used.

http://2e-im.vw-bus.net/?cat=7

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

That looks nice! How much is it? I could not see how to buy it on that link, or did you fabricate yourself?

I have the Mk2 Gti (1.8 lump) but one day might consider the AGG as so many about. Was it a faf to fit?
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

I have fitted the AGG engine in my syncro in place of the JX diesel.

It is mounted at 50 degrees like the diesel was and uses the manifolds which came with it. The inlet clears the body /chassis by about 10-15mm so no hammering or welding needed.

My exhuast uses a 2.1 waterboxer silencer and tailpipe and a custom fabricated 2 into 1 front pipe incorporating a boss for the lambda sensor and a flexible section. This was fabricated laocally in stainless. The silencer is carried in the normal wbx mounting brackets which are carried on the diesel mounting points on the engine and sump (no rubbers, though).

As mentioned above, you have to deal with the more complex wiring including the immobiliser. I chose to retain this feature and incorporate the chip into the key and the snesor aerial just clips onto the T25 ignition barrel.

For more information have a look at the threads on Brickyard at http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t3-pe ... rum22.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There are several of mine there and many other useful ones.

Cheers

Garyd

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

bmouthboyo wrote:That looks nice! How much is it? I could not see how to buy it on that link, or did you fabricate yourself?

I have the Mk2 Gti (1.8 lump) but one day might consider the AGG as so many about. Was it a faf to fit?

Only real 'faff'/difference (besides lambda and obvious stuff) is the wiring. Not too much hassle. just a bit more involved than the PB. If you can wire a PB you can do the AGG. just takes longer.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

bmouthboyo wrote:That looks nice! How much is it? I could not see how to buy it on that link, or did you fabricate yourself?

They are 130€ and you have to send the guy an email to get details.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

ELVIS wrote:

Only real 'faff'/difference (besides lambda and obvious stuff) is the wiring. Not too much hassle. just a bit more involved than the PB. If you can wire a PB you can do the AGG. just takes longer.

Would an AGG be a straight swap in terms of the parts I have for my DX engine? i.e bellhousing, spigot, sump etc?

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

yep, AGG is a straight swap. Ive got one here from a project that i 'cancelled' purely because another van with a tdi came along at the right price.
Only the other side of Exeter so easy enough to collect and have whole engine/inlet tract/ECU etc came from a 104k ish golf. any use? numbers in my 'yard signature. :ok

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Sir Chad wrote:Wot technohippy said :)
a 1.8 GTi has 105hp the original WBX was something like 60hp, you get a better mpg too.
I swapped mine cos I didn't want to fork out a fortune on a replacement WBX, did all the work myself except for the exhaust connection pipe.
Anyone considering the conversion should read the wiki and trawl through this forum.
The wiring loom is a bit of a pig, VW put a few surplus wires in which go nowhere, split the loom and you'll find them.
I had to cut and weld the chassis to get the engine in, no lump hammer would ever make enough room for the 87 1.8GTi I used.
I didn't use a swirl pot, I used the GTi fuel pump and eventually I fitted a facet pump as a lift pump and I also fitted a modified parker non-return valve (fitted with a stronger spring)to the tank return, this keeps the main pump slightly pressured and makes it run silent.

Sorry to keep digging this up, I'm abroad so only get to work on the van when visiting the UK, however I may well move back mid 2017.

I was wondering how you fitted the facet pump as a lift pump. Was this from the fuel tank outlet? Or mod the tank to lift it out? Secondly will I have this 'Parker' non return valve on my Kjet? Where did you get the updated spring? My pump is so noisy, and I get fuel surges. Did you fit an inline pump or one of the housed ones?