GTi Exhaust photos attached

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Chad
80-90 Mem No: 3969

GTi Exhaust photos attached

Post by Sir Chad »

Got a request to see pics of exhaust, so here they are:

view from back/nearside

view from rear looking up from the ground
Chad

Transporters, roadblocks in disguise.

curtis_caddy
80-90 Mem No: 5444

Re: GTi Exhaust photos attached

Post by curtis_caddy »

have been mulling over a gti conversion, how do you rate it against the waterboxer, did you use an 1800 or 2 litre motor, are there any problems doing it, have heard you have to mod the fuel tank with a swirl pot, any comments apreciated.

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

Looks sweet, just what im after.

Do you have a link to more high res pics of them?

Thanks
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

Technohippy
80-90 Mem No: 9409

Post by Technohippy »

Sorry to butt in...

curtis_caddy wrote:have been mulling over a gti conversion, how do you rate it against the waterboxer
my 1.9 wbx never got up to a ton... ever... not even down hill... my 1.8 gti does, and moreover its less chuggy and more carlike through the gears :)

curtis_caddy wrote: did you use an 1800 or 2 litre motor, are there any problems doing it, have heard you have to mod the fuel tank with a swirl pot, any comments apreciated.
Yes you get fuel surging without a swirl pot, and even with one fitted I was still getting some surge at around half full but fitted a static lift pump to it as well and its smoothed everything out nicely:)

Sir Chad

Post by Sir Chad »

Wot technohippy said :)
a 1.8 GTi has 105hp the original WBX was something like 60hp, you get a better mpg too.
I swapped mine cos I didn't want to fork out a fortune on a replacement WBX, did all the work myself except for the exhaust connection pipe.
Anyone considering the conversion should read the wiki and trawl through this forum.
The wiring loom is a bit of a pig, VW put a few surplus wires in which go nowhere, split the loom and you'll find them.
I had to cut and weld the chassis to get the engine in, no lump hammer would ever make enough room for the 87 1.8GTi I used.
I didn't use a swirl pot, I used the GTi fuel pump and eventually I fitted a facet pump as a lift pump and I also fitted a modified parker non-return valve (fitted with a stronger spring)to the tank return, this keeps the main pump slightly pressured and makes it run silent.
Last edited by Sir Chad on 04 Jun 2009, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Technohippy

Post by Technohippy »

EEEK! shouldn't have to do that do that???
DX code 1.8 Gti engine is the same block as the JX code TD in a T25... used all the bits off a TD with the engine and the only bit of persuading mine needed was a bit of a pummel at the "inner wing" inside the engine bay to get the air intake manifold to fit

Sir Chad

Post by Sir Chad »

I believe some of the inlet manifolds are bigger than others, which is why some people have to cut and weld the chassis and some getaway with hitting it hard with a hammer.
forgot to say 2.0 litre GTi can be used but you have to either use or get around the ECU immobiliser.
Chad

Technohippy

Post by Technohippy »

as this is an exhaust pictrure thread here's mine (also posted in bmouthboyo's thread in tech)

mixture of MK1 bits and a TD Transporter back box

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

I really want one looking like that asap lol

What silencer did you use? That connection looks handy just before it.

My problem is I cant move my bus without the exhaust so cannot take it to a fabricators. Consider buying / renting a MIG welder and giving it a go, nothing to loose.

Do you have to bend any pipes? cause I wouldn't have the heating equipment for that.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

I really want one looking like that asap lol

What silencer did you use? That connection looks handy just before it.

My problem is I cant move my bus without the exhaust so cannot take it to a fabricators. Consider buying / renting a MIG welder and giving it a go, nothing to loose.

Do you have to bend any pipes? cause I wouldn't have the heating equipment for that.

Technohippy

Post by Technohippy »

its all cut out of the mk1 downpipe no bending just a bit of filleting...

the connection is the flange cut off the other end of the TD backbox tailpipe and used that end on the "downpipe"

I don't weld so I don't know how tricky it was to do

curtis_caddy
80-90 Mem No: 5444

Post by curtis_caddy »

Glad i butted in on this thread now, sorry bout that, have put another wbx in the panel for now, but have all the diesel parts here to mount a gti motor. Have read that there is a variation in size of the inlet manifolds, see that you mention a dx code technohippy, is this the one you used, what year golf do i need to look for?, is it best to go for a pre ecu engine to keep it simple, would the use of a vw 2.1 injection tank get round the swirl pot issues, is anyone in the cambs area so i could take a look at what needs to be done?

Sir Chad

Post by Sir Chad »

I would go for a 1.8 digifant. It's a very simple system and very easy to maintain. I ran with the injection pump alone for a couple of years with no problems. I only put a priming pump on because the golfs all had lift pumps in their tanks so I thought it would be good to mimic this - for reliability and durability. This thread is the only one I've seen that refers to swirl pots. The golf pump has an accumulator which I believe serves the same function as a swirl pot.
Chad

Echo Beach
80-90 Mem No: 7369

Post by Echo Beach »

I could be wrong (and according to my wife its a 99% certainty) reading between the lines we have two different installs here. Technohippy's is a K-jet set up (mechanical fuel inj) from a Mk1 or early Mk2 gti and i think Sir Chads is the later digifant (efi) set-up. I suppose its what installation you feel more comfortable with and what is available to you. Obviously a running donor car would be a bonus for pumps etc

Echo Beach
80-90 Mem No: 7369

Post by Echo Beach »

You beat me to it :roll: :roll: I think andy maybe right with the injection tank though as i thought i had read it had a bigger outlet and combining it with the 2.1inj pump it should be man enough for the job. If and when i do mine this is what i'll use as i have the 1.9wbx inj engine in mine already and err, well its already there :ok