1Y injector pump

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Chilla
80-90 Mem No: 8943

1Y injector pump

Post by Chilla »

Theres a couple of extra wires coming off the above injector pump anyone know how to wire them into my 91 syncro td ?

we have - 1 brown and 1 black coming out the bottom of the pump and
1 yellow at the top of the pump.
Anyone know what these wires should actually do ?

there is also a wire going to an autochoke unit and the standard black wire going into the fuel cut off
thanks

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

I can't guarantee this is correct - i just tried mine out and they worked....

The two wires at the bottom are for an immobiliser i think. PM me for instructions on that.

The yellow is the fuel inlet solenoid or similar - my old 1.7d only had one of these solenoids (the fuel cut off) but the 1Y has two - i just connected them both to my original control wire.

The autochoke unit (ie coldstart) doesnt need connecting really - i would change it to work with the cold start lever if i could be bothered.

By the way, if you dont use your cold start solenoid could i have it ;)

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Chilla
80-90 Mem No: 8943

Post by Chilla »

cheers for the info Ringo
re solenoid- Ill keep hold of it for the moment as I may have a go at wiring it in.
thanks

ringo

Post by ringo »

Chilla wrote: re solenoid- Ill keep hold of it for the moment as I may have a go at wiring it in.
thanks

Hee hee - my thoughts exactly ;)

Ringo

Kermit
80-90 Mem No: 1211

Post by Kermit »

You only need to connect one cable, this is to the solenoid behind the immobilser.

take a chisel to the plastic casing around the immobilser (smash off!!) to gain access to the fuel cut-off solenoid. connect this up....All other cables can be discarded

I had the same problem when converting my 1.7 to a 1.9 1Y engine.

Kerr

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

By the way, if you dont use your cold start solenoid could i have it

Aha! Do you find these pack up frequently Ringo (presuming its a barrel shaped thing, with bullet and cable facing aft) ?

Anyway, my whole coldstart setup removed as duff solenoid and AAZ just doesn't seem to need it when glo-plugs and compressions all good - even in deepest winter, though maybe a big sluggish until warm.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

ringo

Post by ringo »

HarryMann wrote:
By the way, if you dont use your cold start solenoid could i have it

Aha! Do you find these pack up frequently Ringo (presuming its a barrel shaped thing, with bullet and cable facing aft) ?

Anyway, my whole coldstart setup removed as duff solenoid and AAZ just doesn't seem to need it when glo-plugs and compressions all good - even in deepest winter, though maybe a big sluggish until warm.

Sorry about the delay - i dont get email replies on subscripted posts.

My 1Y always starts, but was a bit smoky on startup, apparently the cold start gets rid of this.

My cold start solenoid never worked - and a look round the local scrappies was fruitless.

Was thinking of wiring it up with either a capacitor or a timer to keep it on for 10 seconds after the glow plugs get turned off...

My new engine has one, so if all else goes well i might try it (if it works!).

Ringo

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Ah thanks, so maybe the solenoid burn out or just packup for some reason...

Mine's a pump off a 306 or 405 Peugeot apparently (larger pulley drive taper), originally with all the gubbins but now just with throttle command and nowt else other than fuel solenoid connection - which as you say, starts fine without cold-start fuel and advance.

Sorry about the delay - i dont get email replies on subscripted posts

Why's that ? Bad email address or your profile hasn't got that option set?
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1