16d to 1y 19d conversion parts list

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hopey
80-90 Mem No: 0

16d to 1y 19d conversion parts list

Post by hopey »

I am wanting to swap my 16d to a 1y 19d could anyone let me know what parts I have to change over from my 16d engine to the 1y engine, also if there is any mods required ie exhaust or engine mounts, p.s. anyone tell me what a spigot bearing is as i keep seeing this in the forums, thanks

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Re: 16d to 1y 19d conversion parts list

Post by ringo »

hopey wrote:I am wanting to swap my 16d to a 1y 19d could anyone let me know what parts I have to change over from my 16d engine to the 1y engine, also if there is any mods required ie exhaust or engine mounts, p.s. anyone tell me what a spigot bearing is as i keep seeing this in the forums, thanks

Basically, take the 1.6 out and strip it completely of all parts (except the rocker cover). This includes sump, oil filter housing, exhaust manifold.

Keep the 1Y injectors in and the 1Y injector pump - a slight modification has to be made to the housing of the accelerator cable so it will fit under the lid.

Im not going to go too far into this as there are plenty of posts about the subject on here and on BrickYard.

A quick google on "Spigot Bearing" reveals its a
This is a small roller bearing that sits in-between the end of the crankshaft and the gearbox

An old posts of mine:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Sorry, havent got the time at the mo to be of any more help.

Check out the wiki and do some searches.....

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

hopey

1y engine

Post by hopey »

thanks I am hopefully doing the swap in two weeks, as I live in spain there are no vw experts here who speak english, so maybe looking for more advice when i start cheers hopey

hopey

16d to 1y

Post by hopey »

I have seen on another forum that I need to change the oil pump out of my 16d to the 19d 1y does anyone know if this is needed as I can't find anything about this on here I hope its not the case

ringo

Post by ringo »

Aye i think your right - its not a problem mind - you have to change the sump anyway - and change the oil pump as the 1Y one wont fit in the 1.6 sump....

Least of your worries....

Ringo

hopey

Post by hopey »

cheers its beginning to sound like a bigger job than I thought, I have done an engine swap before, but it was a straight swap from van to van,

ringo

Post by ringo »

Don't be put off - if you have done an engine swap before then this is no harder. Its just a case of using the 1.6 ancilaries and putting them on the 1Y.

Best done with both engines out of course...

Took Futbus and me a weekend....

Ringo

hopey

Post by hopey »

cheers I am moving house next week then I am going to give it a whirl, will let you know how it goes