Brake issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jigs
80-90 Mem No: 4017

Brake issues

Post by jigs »

Over the past few (maybe 12) months I've been very slowly working on the T25 to put her back on the road I've replaced all the brakes, lines, flexi's, calipers, cylinders etc etc and put in a new master last week bled the system up was getting a good pedal. Today I pulled the van out the garage first couple pumps of pedal good brakes then after about 30 secs no pedal, straight to the floor. Pump it a couple times good pedal but a small wait and no pedal!
I haven't investigated much, but ill bleed again tomorrow and check everything, no obvious leaks I could see.
Any thoughts on what to look at ?
Servo?

Thanks folks

The Ark
80-90 Mem No: 17641

Re: Brake issues

Post by The Ark »

If you can pump them up and get a good solid pedal, it sounds like you need to adjust the rear shoes.

Take the drums off, make sure the self adjusting mechanism is working freely. Put the drum half on, so you can get a screwdriver on the adjuster, and adjust it until the shoes are almost touching the drum. Put the drum on fully, and repeatedly operate the handbrake to finish the adjustment with the self adjustment.
1987 Single cab TDI

jigs

Post by jigs »

Thanks for the reply! I did try adjusting the shoes up a bit today and re bleed but still doing the same ill try your drum half on tip 👍 incase I'm not quite dragging enough.

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

I removed my rear drums sorted things out then reassembled them. I had a similar responce on the rear brakes too.
After some investigation I realised my self adjust systems were on the wrong sides, they were loosening not tightening.
Check you haven't done the same.
Good luck
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop

jigs

Post by jigs »

Yes thats exactly what I done !
Swapped them round and adjusted up and now have a pedal.