Identifying / replacing sliding windows

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Identifying / replacing sliding windows

Post by slowcoach »

Thanks guys-
Aidan that's really interesting thanks for the info

Under the ill fitting metal window frame I can see the moulded steel sheet pressing of the sliding door recess for the window, returning back into the van ie its not just a cut hole into the surface of the door. ( Since you mention It, It also has threaded plates for seatbelts in the c & d pillars if that makes any difference?).

So I think it's a factory window van, but sounds like trakka swapped the windows to these double sliding ones.

Aidan can you confirm that early sliding doors had a different sized window aperture? Can't remember where I read it now

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Oh here it was-

viewtopic.php?t=152942

Bigherb writing in 2016-

"11 Jun 2016, 20:02

Early vans to 1985 the sliding door window is 1082mm long, post 1985 they are 1052mm"

===================

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Nice, I had no idea the factory windowed vans has different size windows between early and late. You've a factory window van as your rear windows are flush with the bodywork... that or someone went to the trouble of retrofitting them in.

If you need a hand with it I can be up here when the weather gets better. I've got to bring the LT back up to be stripped and the interior redone.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The sliding windows from an early LHD factory window van would fit, it seems only LHD had genuine vw black frame sliding windows fitted by the factory.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

multisi wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 09:24 The sliding windows from an early LHD factory window van would fit, it seems only LHD had genuine vw black frame sliding windows fitted by the factory.

oh thanks- ill have a look out for some.  Mines a RHD, but i guess youre saying theyre reverseable?
:ok

===================

multisi

Post by multisi »

The early LHD will have the same size windows as the early RHD because the sliding door window is the same size as the other size so they would be a straight fit without reversing, you could also fit a left side window from a LHD of any year into your sliding door . You could get the early genuine VW RHD windows but they would be in silver.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

multisi wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 09:25 The early LHD will have the same size windows as the early RHD because the sliding door window is the same size as the other size so they would be a straight fit without reversing, you could also fit a left side window from a LHD of any year into your sliding door . You could get the early genuine VW RHD windows but they would be in silver.

a haa!  thanks for this.  quite confusing to get my head round, but from what youve just said i looked at different combinations of the new Jk windows, and found the following-

https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t25-part ... -seal.html
"Nearside (left) middle sliding window opposite sliding door on left-hand drive, all years. Also fits pre-85 left hand sliding door on pre-85 right-hand drive or pre-85 twin sliding door model VW T25s with factory-fitted windows."

https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t25-part ... -door.html
"Offside (right) middle sliding window opposite sliding door on right hand drive, all years. Also fits right hand sliding door on pre-85 left hand drive or pre-85 twin sliding door model VW T25s with factory fitted windows."

so i think thats the ones.  I emailed them about this, and they said they couldnt supply windows for my van. obviously havnt read their own catalogue! :?

===================

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

whats the thoughts on the JK seals that will come with the factory windows i linked to? is it just the windscreen seal thats regarded as "pooh"?

Oh and heres a link to some pretty awesome looking windows, for those wanting to spend some money on their battle bus-

https://explore-glazing.com/en/cars/volkswagen-t3-bus

===================

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Ive removed the inner trim around the sliding door window, and heres whats showing-

Ive never seen a van with the window removed, but am i looking at a window frame bonded onto the outside of the window aperture?  theres evidence of mastic which is reasonably pliable still.  it feels solid though.

thanks for looking :ok

===================

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

yes that's not how factory window seal works, factory one on a caravelle fits over the inner lip and fills the space out to the outer skin surface so that's a very odd way of doing it, means the seal isn't fitted into the shell just glued in place
David, the Prof, has a Trakka and he may have had body work done so may be able to advise

multisi

Post by multisi »

Looks like a standard early sliding door with factory recess.

TheProf
80-90 Mem No: 9683

Post by TheProf »

dont know if this helps, but attached are photos of my factory trakka windows -- showing rhs outside and inside and the last one is the offside outside. just for consistency.. !! definitely no inner seal!!  so with that inner seal now out of the way can the window frame seal now be lapped over the metal pressing using some cord? Image ImageImageImage
1990 rhd syncro trakka 2.1mv petrol (lpg now removed)
1989 rhd syncro 'velle 2,1dj petrol

TheProf
80-90 Mem No: 9683

Post by TheProf »

.. should have said -- it is a 1990 trakka conversion, and on my windows only one of the two panes slides
d.

1990 rhd syncro trakka 2.1mv petrol (lpg now removed)
1989 rhd syncro 'velle 2,1dj petrol

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

thanks guys-  i cant even see a rubber seal on mine... without poking and comprimising the mastic i wont know until im ready to yank it out (not bought the new windows yet)... but im thinking it's just glued with gooey stuff to the outide face of the lip.  

i hope the JK seals that come with the windows are alright!

Prof thanks for the pictures :) 

===================

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Swapped in the new window last week, what a faff

I could put a small blade along the old mastic and release the whole frame without much trouble at all.

Window recess was in great condition though with no broken paint or rust, just used alcohol to clean it up ready for the new proper seal and window.

Using some metal stranded washing line it went in mostly well, plenty of spray bottle lube. but of course the last corner was a right "bar-steward" and slightly tore the seal on the inside but hey ho, much heaving and swearing and it's in. Touch of arbomast and it's leak free.

Walk away for a few days, look back, and it never seems so bad . It's put me off doing the other side though, until that one is terminal. At least I can put in the new door card now, which I've had for months.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

===================