Coolant issues!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Alex chester
80-90 Mem No: 0

Coolant issues!

Post by Alex chester »

Hi All, I'm new here. This post refers to my T25 caravelle 1986 1.9 petrol.

After coming home from work, I noticed the T25 has a coolant leak out of the back.

I ran it yesterday and it's running smoothly, when it was cool yesterday the header tank was full, and the expansion tank was between the Min/max markers. When it was warm, the expansion tank was showing slightly over max.

This morning, both are completely full to the brim and the expansion tank is leaking through the breather holes on the top.

Any idea why it would do this?

The van is currently parked nose up a incline, but I doubt this is relevant?

Thanks!

Al

Arripay
80-90 Mem No: 12333

Re: Coolant issues!

Post by Arripay »

Haha, mine does exactly the same, my driveway is quite steep, after a period of time the secondary expansion tank fills up and leaks. I resolved by fitting a new "Darlek" cap on the pressurised expansion tank (although this one hasn't lasted that long before the same happened)

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/header ... ap-t3-oem/

1990 Holdsworth Villa Pop Top 1.9 DG

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Have you ever added any radweld/ K seal type of stuff to your system? In my experience, this seems to have a detrimental effect on header tank caps.  Just so you know. Its the tank behind the numberplate flap that is the expansion tank.
Arripay wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 15:28 Haha, mine does exactly the same, my driveway is quite steep, after a period of time the secondary expansion tank fills up and leaks. I resolved by fitting a new "Darlek" cap on the pressurised expansion tank (although this one hasn't lasted that long before the same happened)

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/header ... ap-t3-oem/

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Arripay
80-90 Mem No: 12333

Post by Arripay »

I've never used any of that stuff, in fact I've only just flushed and replaced the AF, bit annoying to see the expansion tank full up and dripping lovely new coolant on the drive,
Sorry about the nomenclature, I never know what to call the tanks.

Description of the darlek cap from BW!

Synonyms for this part could be.
Radiator cap. (not on a radiator is it!)
Expansion tank cap. (as the tank this screws on to is meant to be full to the brim of coolant then no expansion goes on here!)
Coolant reservoir cap. (The coolant reservoir is behind the rear flap!)

So it's the coolant reservoir behind the flap?? :D :D :D :D ​​​​​​​
1990 Holdsworth Villa Pop Top 1.9 DG