Broken down, fuel filter problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AlBundy
80-90 Mem No: 17633

Broken down, fuel filter problem

Post by AlBundy »

Hi everyone,

Currently sat waiting for the AA as have broken down, suspecting a fuel filter issue as have just had one replaced, and it was horrific. There is still a lot of gunk in the tank which clogged before, and symptoms are exactly the same.

Luckily in a pub car park, so paradise compared to a motorway hard shoulder.

Van is a 1986 LHD 1.6 diesel.

Question is can the new filter be cleaned out, how easy is this, and if we tried this myself, what should we avoid doing to not screw up the engine?

Asking mainly so that I can inform the AA when they get here.

Thanks in advance,
Al

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Broken down, fuel filter problem

Post by colinthefox »

It's not really possible to clean out the filter and reuse it. Trying to clean it would inevitably liberate muck to the clean side, which would then head for the injectors. You might get away with it, or might not.

I would say the only satisfactory solution would be to remove the tank, clean it out and fit a new filter. Not a job for a pub car park.

You would also need to know what the muck is, and how it is being generated in the tank, so you can stop it happening again.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

pull the filter off, empty it and and tap in on the ground, they generally block at the top, blow down the fuel tank to see if the lines blocked, what makes you suspect the filter?

AlBundy
80-90 Mem No: 17633

Post by AlBundy »

Exactly the same symptoms again.

We did the turn upside down and empty it, was some gunk but not too much to stop fuel getting through.

We cleaned out, put some clean diesel in the filter and put it back in, after turning it over several times to clear any air, or ran really well.

Thanks for advice.

Next stop for the van is replacing the fuel tank and lines etc. Hopefully that will sort it long term (as long as long term gets anyway!).

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Check the fuel line inlet union on the top of the filter - once mine was bunged up with gunk yet the filter itself was clear. Symptoms are the same as a blocked filter but new filter does not solve the problem.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 18:32 Check the fuel line inlet union on the top of the filter - once mine was bunged up with gunk yet the filter itself was clear. Symptoms are the same as a blocked filter but new filter does not solve the problem.

And the return one , it has a filter and a tiny hole that easily gets blocked leading to excess pump pressure and lack pressure in the fuel return system

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Some filters have a drain valve for this very reason.

Anyhow assume you got home safetly.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love