Intermittent brake lights - sorted

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DevonAid
80-90 Mem No: 3607

Intermittent brake lights - sorted

Post by DevonAid »

Just sharing how I resolved intermittent brake lights, in case it helps others.

This came about as I recently tested all lights before the MOT (all working), drove straight to the MOT - where the brake lights did not work. Tester then drove the van straight onto the ramp for the rest of the MOT - brake lights worked again!

Ordered a new switch in anticipation, but before replacing it ran lots of checks with a multimeter and confirmed there were intermittent brake lights again, with the existing switch performing perfectly. 
Undertook usual checks on earth crowns, switch connections, brake light wiring and rear light cluster inspection etc.
Then (eventually) found that removing the mounting screws for the fusebox and gently twisted the fusebox anticlockwise, I got permanent power at the brake light switch, but not if I twisted it back to horizontal.
After close inspection, found a loose spade connection at the back of the (old type) fusebox, which feeds power to the switch. Pulled the offending spade off completely and gave it a squeeze with pliers to tighten up spade part of the connecton - which promptly cracked in half, suggesting a frail connection. Connector replaced, power permanently maintained and brake lights working reliably again!

Good to have confidence that brake lights work reliably again.

1983 T25 Devon conversion 1.9DF

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Intermittent brake lights - sorted

Post by Robsey »

Thanks for feeding back.

And very well done for finding your way around the bird's nest behind the fusebox.
Not for the faint hearted.

:ok
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: Intermittent brake lights - sorted

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Good feedback.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic