Anti Roll Bars - Early fitted to late van

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BigBlueVan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Anti Roll Bars - Early fitted to late van

Post by BigBlueVan »

Hi All,

Is it possible to fit an early style anti Roll bar with the cranked drop links to a later suspension setup. I.e with screw in radius rods and cast iron lower arm..

I'm not sure if the attachment point for the drop links are relative to each other regardless of suspension setup.

Saves me buying a newer type is all the the original was rotten for whatever reason.
I have the older one floating about off a donor van.

Thanks in advance.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Anti Roll Bars - Early fitted to late van

Post by Aidan »

It's probably possible, we've seen vans with all manner of mix ups of parts but the links won't be running at the correct angle, which will put more stress on them or they may rub against something; VW wouldn't have changed them if they hadn't needed to, the cast arms have the eyes for the links in a different place that's why the late links are differently shaped they have to be in a position to still work vertically not at an angle (or more acute angle), you can swap the links from your late set up to the arb though

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

Aidan wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 08:53 It's probably possible, we've seen vans with all manner of mix ups of parts but the links won't be running at the correct angle, which will put more stress on them or they may rub against something; VW wouldn't have changed them if they hadn't needed to, the cast arms have the eyes for the links in a different place that's why the late links are differently shaped they have to be in a position to still work vertically not at an angle (or more acute angle), you can swap the links from your late set up to the arb though

So are we saying the actual bars are the same between early and late and just the drop links changed? If correct then ill change droplinks to late type to resolve.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

parts catalogue shows same part number for the 21mm arb, you can measure and compare them yourself

parts catalogue online on 7zap

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

I cannot measure as I do not have the original ARB as it was rotten so threw out.. 
if dimensionally they are the same other than the diameter then ill just use the straight droplinks and we are sorted.

I just had it in my mind the ARB was a different shape between early and late vans.