Diesel drain back?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andyk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Diesel drain back?

Post by andyk »

1990 turbo diesel is taking a lot of starting when left for a few days.  No more smoke on start than usual ;).  When it starts OK after say a day, it starts with no issues, so I guess glow plugs must be OK. Wonder if fuel is draining back to the tank, what the culprit might be?

Thanks!
Andy
1.6TD 5 speed Westfalia Pop Top LHD 1990

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Re: Diesel drain back?

Post by mioba »

Your battery!
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Assuming that the fuel lines (including all the clamps/fittings) are all in good order, it's possible the pump is worn and allowing fuel to drain back when the van is left idle for a few days.  I had the same symptoms and fitted a primer bulb in the fuel line between the filter and pump (as close to the pump as possible), the bulb has a one way valve in it stopping the fuel draining back.  Cured my starting issue and been in place for years now with no problem.  Euro do the primers https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/universa ... um-BARF3AL
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

The culprit can be the back leakage pipes. They're the usually black, usually braided, usually rubber pipes which go between the injectors and connect to the return connection on the pump. There is also a small rubber cap on the end injector. When these fail they let in air, and fuel will drain back to the tank, but you won't usually see any leakage of fuel. You can buy them as a kit from any motor factors, or online for a few quid, and fit them in minutes. While you're about it buy two sets, and keep one in the van so next time it happens (and it will), you can fit them straight away.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Good call on the leak off pipes. Check the for wetness at the ends on the braid - otherwise you wont know it.

They are a service item. I change mine every few years.

Just get a couple of meters of the pipe, 15cm each length between injector. A screw in the end stub. Stick the rest in your toolbox in the dark (otherwise the rubber degrades).

Modern rubber is poor quality.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

andyk

Post by andyk »

Many thanks all for your prompt.and helpful advice - I shall investigate further!
Andy
1.6TD 5 speed Westfalia Pop Top LHD 1990

T25boy71
80-90 Mem No: 16913

Post by T25boy71 »

muttleypup wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 19:45 Assuming that the fuel lines (including all the clamps/fittings) are all in good order, it's possible the pump is worn and allowing fuel to drain back when the van is left idle for a few days.  I had the same symptoms and fitted a primer bulb in the fuel line between the filter and pump (as close to the pump as possible), the bulb has a one way valve in it stopping the fuel draining back.  Cured my starting issue and been in place for years now with no problem.  Euro do the primers https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/universa ... um-BARF3AL

Hi do you know the size of the outlets on this no info on there site..
Vw T25 1.9 TD Z1 hightop rusty but Less rusty than when I got it. lol: 😊

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Hi do you know the size of the outlets on this no info on there site..

Sorry, don't know the exact size.  I'd guess at 8mm, it was a tight fit. If this doesn't suit your fuel line you can get them smaller/larger (and cheaper) on ebay 
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Measure the bore of your fuel line if you don't know is the obvious answer.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶