LED Headlight options

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Re: LED Headlight options

Post by rollercoaster »

Looks like sticking to the Old H4 lights will do me then,
deleting my inner smaller ones, see ad in classifieds.
They not too bad with the loom upgrade and Nightbreakers.
Just need a standard grille, swap for an SA one anyone?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

SyncroMatt wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 18:05
Mocki wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 07:07 In the uk you cannot legally just stick a led headlight bulb in a headlight that should be halogen .
You must fit the complete headlight unit and you should have headlight washers and self levelling according to to legislation

CVC are greedy at that money for sure

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... onversions

Oooh, not seen that, interesting, ta.
Still wouldn't have LEDs in a halogen unit though, had loads on the beam tester, they spray light all over the shop, poor sods coming the other way! Maybe things have improved.
The other crap thing was not being able to use the seals on the back of the headlamp leaving them open and to steam up. LEDs don't run as hot as a halogen bulb so less chance of the unit warming up to disperse the fogging.
This still seems to suggest, regardless of the MOT that they are still "Illegal".
https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/ ... in-the-uk/
I'm pretty sure that if you caused an accident by a mal adjusted aftermarket LED headlamp conversion by blinding an oncoming driver then the police would be able to call into question the LED conversion, the likelihood of that actually happening?
Food for thought.
Until such times as you can truly fit a LED in place of a halogen bulb, keep all seals intact and produce a safe pattern on the beam tester I'll be still staying well clear.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Personally after fitting a relay setup and new osram bulbs I can see just fine, before they were like candles. Also since owning the van I have fitted SA inners as well which when I turn those lights on the road ahead for about what seems like a 1/4 mile gets lit up :lol:
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project