Odometer/trip issues

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sauce1001
80-90 Mem No: 2816

Odometer/trip issues

Post by sauce1001 »

Hi all, looking for some help with a small problem. When I'm driving the van, the odometer and trip readouts don't move. Also the trip reset button doesn't work.  There's also a quite loud repetitive click, which speeds up with the speed the van is travelling.  The speedo works fine but the needle jumps every time the click occurs.  I'm assuming the cable isn't the issue as the speedo works?  Is it likely that a small cog is broken or jamming somewhere inside the speedo itself? Is there a right and a wrong way to locate the cable in the back of it?  It's the push click speedo cable, not screw in.  Thanks.

1990 Multivan 1.9 AAZ

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Odometer/trip issues

Post by AngeloEvs »

The Speedo Pointer movement is separate from the Odometer drive so you could have two separate issues.   The most common fault with the Odometer and Trip Meter failing to increment is due to the drive gear no longer meshing with the Worm Gear.   The Speedo needs to be removed and inspected.   There is a shaft with a gear on either end of it, the white plastic gear should mesh with a worm gear and the Grey metal Gear drives the Trip Meter.   Both can become loose.

If the white gear loses its friction fit on the shaft it will move away from the worm gear and the shaft no longer rotates and both the tripmeter and Mileometer  stop working.   The Grey Metal gear can also lose its friction fit on the shaft and this allows the shaft with the white plastic gear starts to slide and move away from the worm gear.

Thre is a lot of info on the net showing various methods to stop the white gear from parting company with the worm Gear but you must first check that the white plastic gear does not show a visible crack which has caused it to become loose and that it still retains its tight fit on the shaft.      I make a small aluminium plate and fit it as shown in the picture using a small self tapper to hold it in place - there are other ways of doing this so do a google  search.    This does not require the speedo to be dismantled and quite easy to do and it will get the milometer working again.   If the Trip meter still doesn't function then the Grey Metal gear has come loose on the shaft and this is more involved regards repair as the shaft needs to be partially removed  and the gear separated so that the end of the shaft is exposed.  I use a pair of miniature cutters and gently nick the end of the shaft a couple of times to create burrs that provide the friction fit once the metal gear is re-fitted.  If you search google and the Samba forums you will find a lot more information about carrying out the repair. 

1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

sauce1001
80-90 Mem No: 2816

Re: Odometer/trip issues

Post by sauce1001 »

That's great information, thank you for taking the time to explain.  This gives me a starting point to work from.
I'll report back when I've got the speedo out and assessed what's going on.   
:ok
1990 Multivan 1.9 AAZ