Replacement hazard switch

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Replacement hazard switch

Post by Aidan »

why are people getting het up about a switch and fixing it ?

I've checked my stash and I have a used one here, taken out of the pickup when I swapped to SyncroSport dash

I can't check it works in a vehicle now but I can check it works basically, so I look up wiring diagram and can see that pin 49a is connected to the L and R pins when switch is ON

check with multi-meter, good contact with L, intermittent with R, if you wiggle it is better

So I carefully popped the back plate off, just using a knife to lift the sides over the tabs securing the back in place, and you can see the contacts on the back plate and a little grease and contact tracking on the contacts, especially on the R one

Imagethere are 2 small springs under the two contact plates in the switch part

I cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner and scotch pad, lifted off the contact plate and cleaned that and very slightly stretched the spring, gave everything a thin wipe of vaseline to replace the original lube/corrosion inhibiter and popped the coverback on and retested, low and behold perfect continuity is restored

So, imho, these are easy to repair, contact cleaner is a good thing especially after 30 years and garages who can't do this simple stuff, or who tried but lost the springs ? aren't to be trusted with old vehicles, they are used to the if in doubt replace and throw away the old school of mechanicing

it took me longer to take the pics and write the post than to service the switch, hope that this helps, and people don't take what garages tell you as true, get a £5 multi-meter and learn to test and fix stuff yourself, if you run an old vehicle it is worthwhile/essential

callyspoy
80-90 Mem No: 10

Post by callyspoy »

mioba wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 05:44 The OP states the switch doesn't fit in the whole and it works fine......I am lost

Where is it said "the OP has rightfully diagnosed it as almost certainly a switch fault"

The old switch fitted, but doesn't work.
New switch works, but doesn't fit.

So for thr sake of a few minutes potentially cleaning the old switch, then you could have a working fitted switch. That is all.

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

On these 80's switches, it really is a piece of proverbial.

I always clean these simple switch units.
Very easy to do led conversions too.

No complex contact pads or micro-electronics to complicate matters.

----------

As for the O.P - I wonder if it wouldn't have been just as easy to swap the casing from the old switch onto the new one?.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

steveo9007
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16902

Post by steveo9007 »

The way i got round this was to buy the steering upper cowl that houses the newer version hazard switch, and moved it from the dash to the upper cowling simple. See Pic below
This is the hazard switch that was picture by the original O.P and the one on thew right in his Picture.
1985 RHD Pop Top Autosleeper, 1.7D KY Engine 4 Speed ALD Gearbox (Bertie)

Profscooter
80-90 Mem No: 16239

Post by Profscooter »

Managed to get the correct switch sent over from Audi Klaus, which arrived today, straightforward to fit, works properly and clicks nicely into the dashboard housing. Job’s a good un! 👍
1986 Auto-Sleeper VHT high top 1.9 petrol RHD