Oil temp gauge reading incorrect

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shinnster
80-90 Mem No: 17392

Oil temp gauge reading incorrect

Post by Shinnster »

Hi all,

I had some oil temp and oil pressure gauges installed a few months back and the oil temp has always been an issue.
First of all the company had wired it up to the oil pressure relocation kit so the temp always read way too low (55 - 60 degrees)
I have since relocated it onto the VDO sump plug sender but now it always reads high, like 130 degrees on normal short non taxing journeys to 150 degrees (max) on longer trips.
would this be because I have not got a VDO gauge installed? at the moment it is connected to a CNSpeed gauge as that's what the company installed for me.

from doing a bit of reading senders and gauges should be matched up, but does it make that much difference?

thanks in advance!
1988 1.9 DG, 4 speed Tin top with double sliders.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Oil temp gauge reading incorrect

Post by Aidan »

if the calibration of the gauge doesn't match the sender then you will get false info, but using a  sump plug sender might not be ideal, if I wanted an oil pressure temp reading I'd take it remotely same as a pressure sender reading from the low pressure switch tapping in the case using a hose to a block with the tapings for the senders and mount that ontop of the engine so the wiring is tidy and away from the exhaust, or better still from a sandwich plate on the filter/intercooler/warmer to get an accurate reading.
Coolant temp should give you enough information of what is going on, an oil pressure gauge will tell you when the oil has started to degrade (pressure starts to drop when hot, after 4-6 months/3000+miles regular driving) focussing on oil temp isn't necessary generally.

Shinnster
80-90 Mem No: 17392

Re: Oil temp gauge reading incorrect

Post by Shinnster »

thanks for the reply,
so oil temp isnt a real big one thats needed? i just assumed it would be worthwhile seeing how hot the oil was getting.
i had looked into the sandwich adapters for the oil filter, but went for the easier to install option as i'm still a novice with anything to do with engines lol
i think I'll grab a vdo gauge and and see if it reads more what i'm expecting.

1988 1.9 DG, 4 speed Tin top with double sliders.