Can the ignition control unit be tested?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

simonmarsh
80-90 Mem No: 15712

Can the ignition control unit be tested?

Post by simonmarsh »

Hello all,
I have no spark and have checked connections to the coil etc - I will be checking the coil this evening - could anyone let me know if the ignition control unit can be tested please? I only have a multimeter and "bulb" type basic tester.

Many thanks

Simon
1980 2 litre CU petrol engine 4 speed gearbox (Devon Moonraker)
1973 1303S Beetle
1965 Karmann Ghia coupe

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Re: Can the ignition control unit be tested?

Post by tobydog »

Knowledge is power
1970 CU

simonmarsh

Post by simonmarsh »

Thanks very much for that - sorry I missed it
Cheers
Simon
1973 1303S Beetle
1965 Karmann Ghia coupe

simonmarsh

Post by simonmarsh »

Thanks again for the help.
I have tested as above and get sparks from the HT lead when scraping a wire across the engine but I don't have any voltage showing across the 2 outer connections of the 3 pin socket in the distributor. Could someone please advise if this means the fault could be with the ignition control unit box rather that the hall sender?
I believe the coil is at fault also - I have temporarily replaced with one I had but will order a new one.
I have recently had the Hall sender replaced - the garage had to re-solder connections etc so I'm hoping it's not that again! 
Any advise greatly appreciated please - and could anyone suggest a supplier for the unit (I see Brickwerks sell the ignition control unit so will probably go there) for the Hall sender it seems harder to get hold of one (I bought the last one at Just kampers)
Thanks again and apologies for waffling.
Simon

1973 1303S Beetle
1965 Karmann Ghia coupe

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

simonmarsh wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 08:41 Thanks again for the help.
I have tested as above and get sparks from the HT lead when scraping a wire across the engine but I don't have any voltage showing across the 2 outer connections of the 3 pin socket in the distributor. Could someone please advise if this means the fault could be with the ignition control unit box rather that the hall sender?
I believe the coil is at fault also - I have temporarily replaced with one I had but will order a new one.
I have recently had the Hall sender replaced - the garage had to re-solder connections etc so I'm hoping it's not that again! 
Any advise greatly appreciated please - and could anyone suggest a supplier for the unit (I see Brickwerks sell the ignition control unit so will probably go there) for the Hall sender it seems harder to get hold of one (I bought the last one at Just kampers)
Thanks again and apologies for waffling.
Simon

Yes, you must have more than 5V across the outside terminal of the distributor plug, that is what powers the Hall sender. The power is supplied from the ignition amplifier (via the idling stabilizer if still fitted) Check the wiring from the amplifier and join the plugs together to bypass the idling stabilizer.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

simonmarsh

Post by simonmarsh »

Thanks very much for the reply.
I bought a new ignition control unit and this has made no difference (still no spark).
Sorry to be dim but I'm not sure I have an amplifier? It's a 1980 2 litre CU air cooled engine? I have connected the idle stabiliser cables together (bypassing the unit).
There doesn't appear to be any power at these (it won't light up a test lamp) - apologies again for my ignorance on the electrical side of this, but should there be enough power to light a simple bulb type tester at these terminals and, if not, does anybody know what the issue may be please?
Thanks again
Simon
1973 1303S Beetle
1965 Karmann Ghia coupe

simonmarsh

Post by simonmarsh »

Sorry - I googled the amplifier - it comes up with an image of the unit I have just replaced (ignition control unit) - is this the same thing?

Thanks again
Simon
1973 1303S Beetle
1965 Karmann Ghia coupe

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

simonmarsh wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 14:46 Sorry - I googled the amplifier - it comes up with an image of the unit I have just replaced (ignition control unit) - is this the same thing?

Thanks again
Simon
Yes, they are called various names, Amplifier, Ignition module/control unit. Although it is an amplifier of the Hall signal for the high current switching of the coil.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

simonmarsh

Post by simonmarsh »

Thanks again to you both - that was really helpful.
I have managed to get the van running again! combination of bad connection (inside the rubber boot) at the ignition control unit (which I changed!!) and a weak coil.

1973 1303S Beetle
1965 Karmann Ghia coupe