Factory rev counter question.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Factory rev counter question.

Post by Robsey »

I am sure that I saw a video on youtube for fixing a vanagon tachometer.

Not the same issue, but worth a watch...
If I can find it...
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Have you checked that there is a pulse at pin 9 of the multiconnector (yellow cable next to the Black cable)? High voltage from the coil so do not touch - I use an oscilloscope but try a multimeter set to read a high voltage on AC volts. If there is no reading check your cable connection at the coil.

Also, has the Rev counter worked in the past?
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Africatwin
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Africatwin »

AngeloEvs wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 15:17 Have you checked that there is a pulse at pin 9 of the multiconnector (yellow cable next to the Black cable)? High voltage from the coil so do not touch - I use an oscilloscope but try a multimeter set to read a high voltage on AC volts. If there is no reading check your cable connection at the coil.

Also, has the Rev counter worked in the past?

Hi yes, checked continuity and also for V, both past.. also used that same signal cable on a hall tach and worked fine so happy it’s ok.
The van is new to me and arrived with no working tach. So I’m
Not sure how long it’s been broken for
1992 LLE ORLEY BLAU - 2.1

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Both the petrol and diesel VW tachometers have a single IC (integrated circuit) chip (SAK215). These are still available, the other circuit components are also available which would allow the tacho to be repaired as long as the movement is not damaged and is still functional.

First, If You acquired the van with the tacho not functioning it may be worth checking that you have the correct tacho - petrol and diesel are different regards the signal required for the tacho.

Your tacho really needs to be tested on a bench to determine if it is faulty. If faulty it needs to be dismantled and examined. The VW tacho is an expensive item and difficult to obtain so well worth checking if it can be repaired.

Africatwin

Post by Africatwin »

AngeloEvs wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 15:23 Both the petrol and diesel VW tachometers have a single IC (integrated circuit) chip (SAK215). These are still available, the other circuit components are also available which would allow the tacho to be repaired as long as the movement is not damaged and is still functional.

First, If You acquired the van with the tacho not functioning it may be worth checking that you have the correct tacho - petrol and diesel are different regards the signal required for the tacho.

Your tacho really needs to be tested on a bench to determine if it is faulty. If faulty it needs to be dismantled and examined. The VW tacho is an expensive item and difficult to obtain so well worth checking if it can be repaired.

I think it’s passed my capabilities to be honest.. all
I’ve done so far is taken the tach out and checked for any broken tabs on the board but I can’t see any.

I’m just emailing some companies to see if they will repair it.

Is there a way to tell
If a if it’s meant for a petrol/diesel?

Cheers

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

I can bench test it and examine it for you. I only need the tacho not the whole dash.

Africatwin

Post by Africatwin »

AngeloEvs wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 17:51 I can bench test it and examine it for you. I only need the tacho not the whole dash.

That’s very kind, just sent you a PM

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

AfricaTwin, can you pm me a contact number. I have sent you two PM’s but not sure if you have received them.