1.9DG waterjacket leak

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jamie.smith
80-90 Mem No: 17475

1.9DG waterjacket leak

Post by jamie.smith »

Hi, aware that this has been covered but just wanted to seek some opinions before I resign myself to a 4k+ cost of a new engine.

I have a leak at the top of the water jacket on the near side. Engine is extremely clean with relatively low mileage but was sat for a long time and did experience an overheating episode. I have a new Speedshop exhaust on it last year and all of the bolts came off with no problems at all, so potentially, the head studs could come off with no issues.

Ideally, I am looking for someone who could undertake a water jacket gasket repair, either in-situ or engine out. I am in London so can get to surrounding areas easily. Is there anyone at all who would be willing to have a go or point me in the right direction to someone that could? It's such a shame to have to lose an otherwise great engine and have a huge expense for something like this. I'll attach some pics here.

If it really is going to be a new engine, planning to keep topping up and monitoring over the next month or so. Got a camper van spot at Glastonbury Festival which is risky but the VW Engine shop are booking mid June with 8-10 day turnaround so already too late. I am hoping that as it gets warm, the leak will ease a little. Does anyone recommend re torquing the head studs as an interim option?

I did clean the puddle and then run the engine for 5 mins to get the leak you see below

Thanks! Any help appreciated! :ok

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: 1.9DG waterjacket leak

Post by Stesaw »

Depends how badly it overheated, If it was bad it could of stretched the studs and other damage could have happened, IE cooked the pistons/barrels. I'd try checking and re-torque the head nuts, 50mn if I recall right.
If the head needs to come off to check for further issues it can be done with the engine in the van.
I wouldn't risk running the engine to go anywhere far til you got it sorted, but it's your choice at the end of the day.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

If you don't want to risk having your van off the road for Glasto, DON'T try retorqueing the head nuts! It won't stop a water jacket seal leak anyway. It's an early engine so a bit higher risk of snapped studs. Just leave it, and top up as required until you can spare it off the road for repairs. I'd offer to do it, but I'm quite a long way from London.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

jamie.smith

Post by jamie.smith »

Booked into The VW Engine Co 1st June. They fit me in as I need it for a wedding and Glastonbury. Quite expensive, but I hear great things about their engines. Thanks for the advice. 

:ok

jamie.smith

Post by jamie.smith »

Quick update on this. Slaughterhouse Customs took on the work and did a great job. Engine saved! Had to get the cylinders honed and pistons and rings sorted but super happy! 💪