KY 1.7d Timing Belt Replacement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Horatio Flange
80-90 Mem No: 30

KY 1.7d Timing Belt Replacement

Post by Horatio Flange »

Hi
I have a 1990 with what I was told is a 1.7d diesel fitted. As far as I can tell its had that engine from new. I put it 8n to have the belt replaced and have been told the new belt doesn't fit. The new belt has 135 teeth and the old belt has 137? Apparently the tensioner are different too. Is it common to fit different belts? Or is my engine likely to be something else? Any help greatly appreciated.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: KY 1.7d Timing Belt Replacement

Post by Aidan »

pictures will help
chances are the KY has been swapped for a 1Y; if you look underneath at the block of the engine it will have cast into it the capacity, 1Y is 1.9 and takes a 137 toothed belt

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

Many thanks for that. I'll go and have a look tomorrow and see what I can see. Are there any other tell tale signs it's a 1.9? I'm completely new to this; my other T25s have all been petrol and I never had to do much to them.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Post up a picture of your engine it should help in identifying it.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

steveo9007
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16902

Post by steveo9007 »

I have recently done my timing belt on my 1.7D KY engine, bought it from Brickwerks and went to the section on their website and chose that one, fitted it and job done....didnt even look at how many teeth.  As rob says think your first port of call is to determine the correct engine you have and then go from there.

here is link for 1.7D KY engine timing belt 

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... -1-7d.html

I have also helped a friend of mine to do his 1Y timing belt as the changing is the same process b ut as i told him you have to beaware that there is a early and late belt, with different tensioners, the way to find that out is by the engine number and then look on Brickwerks website and chose which one it is by the numbers they quote, here is the link for the page with the 1Y timing belts on it

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/other-vehi ... d.html?p=3

So get the correct engine type and if it turns out its a 1Y make sure you get the engine number aswell, which is located on the flat surface of the block near to the largest coolant flange that exits the block towards the coolant bottle or below No4 Injector.
1985 RHD Pop Top Autosleeper, 1.7D KY Engine 4 Speed ALD Gearbox (Bertie)

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

ImageImageImage

It's a 1.9D. I can see that on the case now I know where to look.

I can't seem to find an engine number as I can't seem to get to where I think it will be. I did get some numbers but I don't think its this?
ImageImage

The old cam belt is 137 teeth and has a black plastic tensioner/pulley. This seems to match with the later 1.9d from what I can see looking at parts sites?

Typically I had already bought the upper and lower belt covers for the 1.7d... don't suppose they will fit the 1.9d?

Many thanks for all the help, it really is appreciated.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

You are looking on the wrong side for 1.9 - exhaust side and look up from underneath the van - it will be cast into the side of the block, very easy to see.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 16:20 You are looking on the wrong side for 1.9 - exhaust side and look up from underneath the van - it will be cast into the side of the block, very easy to see.

Thanks m8, my bad for pointing the wrong direction for the engine number...assumed it would be on same side

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

on another note has your coolant tank exploded, as it looks deformed and the area around it looks like it has been sprayed with the internal liquid that was inside the bottle..??

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

That looks like an AEF engine to me. AEF is very similar to a 1Y but has a different injection pump. They were fitted to Polo  and Skoda felicias for a few years around 1989. I've had one fitted for 40K miles and it's been brilliant.

Have a good look at this thread which tells you a lot of what you need to know about your engine.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/1-6cs ... 52595.html

One thing I have noticed is that the cold start solenoid is not connected, so cold starts are likely to be accompanied by white smoke, and it may not start easily when hot. The thread above deals with that.

There are top and bottom plastic sections to the cam belt cover, and a cast aluminium mid section which formed one of the engine mounts on the original transverse arrangement. These will fit with a  very small amount of modification to the ally part. Best got from a scrapper I would think.

Later on in the thread it also deals with the location of the engine number, which is helpfully behind the bypass hose where it comes out of the side of the head.

Any more questions, please ask once you've read the thread.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

As Colin said, that's an AEF - the pump gives it away

the N/A 1.9D's are great engines
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

Wow! Thanks for that Colin. I'm still reading through it all but looks really helpful. I'm going to start at the beginning at find the engine number this morning. I can then go from there.

Is there a list of engine numbers anywhere that I can then use to pinpoint the engine? Late or early etc?

Really love this club! Always so helpful.

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

steveo9007 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 18:28 on another note has your coolant tank exploded, as it looks deformed and the area around it looks like it has been sprayed with the internal liquid that was inside the bottle..??
It had a pipe go before I bought it. It's now repaired but I haven't cleaned the engine bay yet. It needs a complete flush out and filling with the correct coolant.

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

colinthefox wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 18:46
One thing I have noticed is that the cold start solenoid is not connected, so cold starts are likely to be accompanied by white smoke, and it may not start easily when hot.

I'm such a novice here that I have no idea which part that would be! 😅 The glow plug light comes on and go off and she starts first turn every time? Or would it do that anyway even with solenoid not connected?

The engine bay is a mess of broken wires so it seems to have had unsympathetic changes made. I've got zero knowledge if what it should look like originally so it's all a steep learning curve!

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

I managed to find what I think is the engine code. It's not very clear in the pic but it very much looked like it starts with AEF.