Headbolt leak. Beginning of the End?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Headbolt leak. Beginning of the End?

Post by maxstu »

937carrera wrote:.... and when you do, given the confidence you have in Elite, you might want to think about doing the release, clean, retorque process on the right hand bank at the same time :roll:

Might be tempting fate though :oops: Often read this is a problem with 2.1 Elite rebuilds on left cylinder head. Yet not affecting 1.9. Cannot reason why though. Probably an urban myth. Or simply the few 2.1 owners it affected just happen to be more vocal.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Howdy Stu, sorry to hear about the bus mate but that sounds exactly like the symptoms I had on my DG (also an Elite rebuild).

Bus was overpressurising -loads of pressure releasing from header tank even if the van was left for a few days. Top up tank also would fill up. I found that 1 of the head nuts was also loose on the head which was retorqued and I even put some of that Steel Seal in which didn’t make any difference.

Unfortunately looks like a top end rebuild is the only option mate.

Here’s a link to my thread:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=163364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 DG, Weber Carb

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

300CE wrote:Howdy Stu, sorry to hear about the bus mate but that sounds exactly like the symptoms I had on my DG (also an Elite rebuild).

Bus was overpressurising -loads of pressure releasing from header tank even if the van was left for a few days. Top up tank also would fill up. I found that 1 of the head nuts was also loose on the head which was retorqued and I even put some of that Steel Seal in which didn’t make any difference.

Unfortunately looks like a top end rebuild is the only option mate.

Here’s a link to my thread:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=163364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Cant post my reply???
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Keep getting this...

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x91\x8D' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: forum@80-90.co.uk

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Hello Justin,

Thanks for the link. Re-read again this morning plus other
links covering rebuilds. Reality is hitting home so I guess l have two options.

Option one.

Dismantle the removed original DG1.9 which suffered failure after carb melted and chucked some metal into engine. Heated sump and dropped oil yesterday. Nothing too critical came out. But more than just swarf. One piece about the 1/4 size of a grain rice is a bit alarming. And crank end play is horrendous. About 2mm in some places when revolving flywheel. Plus a horrible knocking noise when at TDC on number one. Could be interesting...plus gives me opportunity to use piston rings l bought from you....Least this allows me to gently drive camper about for now.

Secondly.

Rip out 2.1. New liner seals top and bottom. Compression rings and rubbers. While out oil seals both end and check/set end play. Check and replace clutch if necessary.
MaxStu

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

maxstu wrote:Cant post my reply???
Who posted this then? :-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

With everything you list in option one, I'd go option two.

I once saw a DG (funnily enough, an Elite) that melted the carb. Lost all compression. Took the heads off and found molten metal droplets had stuck and solidified on the back of all four valves, thus holding the valves off the seats. I just replaced the heads with a couple of good used units and a spare manifold & Pierburg - ran like a dream again. BTW, whilst cleaning and checking bores and pistons I noted that the elite engine had a mix n match piston set. Different brands can be different sizes and weights. Just saying...

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

maxstu wrote: Reality is hitting home so I guess l have two options.

assuming you have the money..

I'd strip down and try and fix the 1.9 first, you can learn from it and assuming it goes well you put in in the van while you do the 2.1.

The 2.1 will be a better job because you have learnt from the 1.9 and you have much more time because you have an engine and the van works.

I still have a cobbled up 1.9 in my tin top and a 2.1 ready to go in for a year now but as the 1.9 works just fine I'm in no hurry. When I do fit the 2.1 I will know I have a working 1.9 spare as a spare.

Happy to help as much as I can. :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Well if you aren't confused enough here's a third option.

Do what you were originally going to do and go through a removal / retorque of the existing head nuts.

All the wise advice is saying it'll do no good, but what is it going to cost to try it. A couple of hours work and a tenner for materials. If it doesn't work, you'll know pretty much straight away, so little risk of damage through use. If you snap a stud while doing this, then better breaking it before you strip down rather than after you have rebuilt the thing.

As for option one or two, you have the different perspectives, you'll need to decide based on your level of confidence and how much time you have available / can have the van non moveable.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Do you know anybody this worked for?

937carrera wrote:Well if you aren't confused enough here's a third option.

Do what you were originally going to do and go through a removal / retorque of the existing head nuts.

All the wise advice is saying it'll do no good, but what is it going to cost to try it. A couple of hours work and a tenner for materials. If it doesn't work, you'll know pretty much straight away, so little risk of damage through use. If you snap a stud while doing this, then better breaking it before you strip down rather than after you have rebuilt the thing.

As for option one or two, you have the different perspectives, you'll need to decide based on your level of confidence and how much time you have available / can have the van non moveable.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Not on a WBX, but it is a pretty standard procedure on other engines, I have it done as a "maintenance" procedure on one of my other cars with a more highly stressed forced induction engine - the head can lift off the block under boost unless this is done.

I know you don't think it will work, maxstu can decide if he wants to invest the time or not
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

I did it once on an Engine Shop bigbore. Had two in on the trot with the same symptoms, both caused by insufficient torquing of head nuts in the build. First one I removed the RHS head, replaced compression seals and refitted head, then torqued both heads to 50Nm, fixed. Second time I just redid each nut with new sealant, refitting back to 30Nm each time, then 40, then 50. It fixed it. But that was caused by relatively loose nuts, this problem may not be quite as simple, but I agree it's worth a try as you've nothing to lose (as long as you can manage without the van for a while if one should snap).

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Great stuff guys. Many thanks.

Im going to rip down DG 1.9 first and check inside. Its not a happy sounding crank at present. Nasty clonk when at TDC on number one (and masses of play on end crank) coming from near distributor drive. So will whip shaft out and slowly rotate engine again.

Camper is only road legal vehicle at present. I reckon it will keep going for a few months yet. I do have a motorcycle. But likely selling it to pay for this adventure. No work and lack of funds at present. Go on, l can do that! Gissa job?

By the way can l mix a DF casing with cam & crank to DG conrods, pistons and cylinder heads? Or DF conrods and DG pistons and heads?
MaxStu

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

there are early and late DG's and DF's, difference being case and main bearings
Never stripped a DF but I believe everything is same as DG except heads and cam.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks