Rebuild Thread (Probably)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Boneyt25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Rebuild Thread (Probably)

Post by Boneyt25 »

I do have the early coolant system.!

Can you remind me how to post images. I've done it before successfully but can't recall...

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

viewtopic.php?p=8314449#p8314449

This is a link to where my pics are.

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

Smiffo ,

If you look at my pics you can see my old cooling system.

I'm hoping I don't have to swap the thermostat as that area is a "idiot" to work in.

I've already had the water pump pulley and crank pulley off to do some solid coolant pipe upgrades. The stat has a solid coolant pipe (now stainless) on a push fit. It was a complete tit. Had to do it 3 times to get a good seal. I wouldn't want to touch it again unless I absolutely have to .! Hopefully there's another way round.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Boneyt25 wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 14:40 Smiffo ,

If you look at my pics you can see my old cooling system.

I'm hoping I don't have to swap the thermostat as that area is a "idiot" to work in.

I've already had the water pump pulley and crank pulley off to do some solid coolant pipe upgrades. The stat has a solid coolant pipe (now stainless) on a push fit. It was a complete tit. Had to do it 3 times to get a good seal. I wouldn't want to touch it again unless I absolutely have to .! Hopefully there's another way round.

I remember that thread now!!

I'm unclear on the early cooling system.
What we would need is someone with an early cooled DG / Pierburg setup to post some pics of the coolant hoses.

I'm guessing the rear righthand inlet manifold coolant outlet goes to the pierburg as per the later cooling system, but then you'd need to know which hose leaves the carb to complete the circuit.

Someone here is going to have to chip in with some pics for you. ( I checked Brickwerks, but nothing obvious jumps out at me. )
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Nice.

Now we just need someone with a pierburg carb and the same early cooling system already, to post theirs.
That will give an indication as to what is needed. 

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

Good thinking.!

Though I'm not too fussy .... I've just read that weber are more simple...I have no idea if that's true. But it might be an alternative option.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Found one....

You can see the coolant hoses from the carb in here.
One drops off down the back ( I assume same as late cooling system ) and the unknown before you can see comes across the engine to a port in what would be on your copper coolant pipe you made.

'89 1.9 DG

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Post by JeffRoo »

Boneyt25 wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 06:30 I do have the early coolant system.!

Can you remind me how to post images. I've done it before successfully but can't recall...
I have early coolant on dg with pierburg carb, sorry can’t take a photo for a few days as van is in the body shop, but I’ll do it this week. 
One question: you say you have an early coolant system but you have a Dalek cap on. My system has a ‘normal’ radiator style cap. I’m no expert but is it definitely an early system?

lastly, reading through loads of posts about twin webbers, I decided against it as they all said they were notoriously difficult to set up and maintain. Pierburg seems to be the preferred option. 
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

Hello again,

Thanks both for your input.

For some reason even though I've enabled notifications I'm not getting them....forum rookie here!

Certainly no expert on t25s but.....
I have a very very similar set up to smiffos pic. Though I have a diy copper coolant pipe across the too as they don't make a replacement.

Yes I have a blue coolant tank lid with out put pipe. Recently replaced it.

So it may be a mash up but am pretty certain it's dominantly early style!

Can see the pipe that would go to my copper piece. There's no pipe there on mine and wasn't before. So I'm not sure how they've done that. Maybe they threaded an outlet on the steel pipe.? But I'm sure I could do similar with yorkshire fittings!

No idea where the other pipe disappears to. I'll have a look at what's about.

For reference, pics of my engine bay were posted a few messages back.

Well done for finding that pic tho!

New round air filter box and flex has arrived. It has vacuum hose points at top middle. I think my current pipes are off of a box before the air filter. So need to work that bit out.

But I assume the round filter box is better ?

Still no carb. Mainly as trying to get one for a sensible price.

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

They seem to be missing an outlet to the far right of the steel pipe that I swapped. If you compare pics. Its difficult to know for definite.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Yeh, they don't have this bit maybe:

Is that where your coolant hose from the RHS of the inlet manifold goes?

If so, you could use the late hose from inlet manifold to carb, then a short piece from carb to that outlet they are missing ( instead of running across to the inlet their pic shows, but that you don't have. )
'89 1.9 DG

Boneyt25

Post by Boneyt25 »

Thats the bit i was referring to. I'm not sure where that goes after it leaves my copper pipe.

I'll take some detailed pics of the areas as soon as possible.

I'm not sure what the design requirements are for the carb coolant set up. I assume it wants to be on the loop pre-thermostat so it heats up quicker.

I've no idea if my current carb is electrically heated. But I'm pretty sure the manifold is, as someone mentioned it before as the sender , now nonnected inline on a blue piece of ally, which used to be on the top left of my copper pipe, controls the IM heater.

I believe the pierburg is electrically heated.?
And
Is the dg IM electrically heated?

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Yes, the Pierburg has electrical heating, and so does the inlet manifold.

'89 1.9 DG