Leisure battery under rear bench seat!

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

otherking
80-90 Mem No: 0

Leisure battery under rear bench seat!

Post by otherking »

I'd like to replace my leisure battery (which is currently under the drivers seat) to a larger one!
My plan was to house the new battery under the rear bench seat, but I'm not exactly sure on the best way to do this..
I was hoping you guys might be able to offer some suggestions?
Thanks
I'm new to this.

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Re: Leisure battery under rear bench seat!

Post by Winchweight »

We have the engine battery and two leisure batts under ours. They have a custom made battery tray bolted through the floor with a retaining bar to hold them. The terminals have snap on covers and the batteries are covered with rubber matting to prevent accidental short circuits etc.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

otherking

Post by otherking »

Winchweight wrote:We have the engine battery and two leisure batts under ours. They have a custom made battery tray bolted through the floor with a retaining bar to hold them. The terminals have snap on covers and the batteries are covered with rubber matting to prevent accidental short circuits etc.

How have you run the wiring? Still tryin to figure out what my best option is..
I'm new to this.

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

I have a split charge relay in there as well and the wires run in through the engine bulkhead on the left side in the wheel arch by the fuse box and fuel tank (it's a Syncro) The leisure batts feed a multi point fuse box and I take my leisure feeds from there.

otherking

Post by otherking »

Winchweight wrote:I have a split charge relay in there as well and the wires run in through the engine bulkhead on the left side in the wheel arch by the fuse box and fuel tank (it's a Syncro) The leisure batts feed a multi point fuse box and I take my leisure feeds from there.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it!
I'm new to this.

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

Winchweight wrote:I have a split charge relay in there as well and the wires run in through the engine bulkhead on the left side in the wheel arch by the fuse box and fuel tank (it's a Syncro) The leisure batts feed a multi point fuse box and I take my leisure feeds from there.

Hi Winchweight

Just wondering what leisure batteries you using, Im considering Trojan traction deep cycle.
Are you venting the batteries under the RnR bed in any way?

Can you pop up a piccy of your setup?

cheers
keith
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

Hi Keith, if the rain stops I'll take a pict tomorrow. They are bog standard 75aH sealed leisure batts. Not vented but the area is well ventilated, the van isn't airtight, so I don't think it's needed really. Batts only gas when being worked or charged hard, which we tend not to do. I'll probably get shot down now....

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Winchweight wrote:Hi Keith, if the rain stops I'll take a pict tomorrow. They are bog standard 75aH sealed leisure batts. Not vented but the area is well ventilated, the van isn't airtight, so I don't think it's needed really. Batts only gas when being worked or charged hard, which we tend not to do. I'll probably get shot down now....

many thanks. Im considering putting the starter, leisure & webasto & CTEK gizmos all under the RnR bed and using the space under the seats for tools....of course this may all change in my head again....and again :roll:

My thinking is its all out of the way and in one place, what was you thinking for putting them all under your bed?

cheers :mrgreen:
------------------------
---

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

Exactly what I have: starter, 2x leisures, Eberspacher, split charger, ecu and there's room for other stuff too. I have socket set, jack etc under there.

My thought was low CG, weight centralised, water tight (more than in the engine compartment anyway).

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Winchweight wrote:Hi Keith, if the rain stops I'll take a pict tomorrow. They are bog standard 75aH sealed leisure batts. Not vented but the area is well ventilated, the van isn't airtight, so I don't think it's needed really. Batts only gas when being worked or charged hard, which we tend not to do. I'll probably get shot down now....
If you have ever seen a batt fail due to an internal fault or over charge you would not say they don't need venting or in a metal case.
2.1 Twin slider

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

nicq wrote:
If you have ever seen a batt fail due to an internal fault or over charge you would not say they don't need venting or in a metal case.

one of these chappies I guess
https://www.tayna.co.uk/Banner-Battery- ... P9171.html
------------------------
---

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

irishkeet wrote:
nicq wrote:

one of these chappies I guess
https://www.tayna.co.uk/Banner-Battery- ... P9171.html
Yes and a very sturdy box around it like VW have. My old bosses 2 year old BMW was written off when his went, for no apparent reson, all covered in acid.
2.1 Twin slider

Winchweight

Post by Winchweight »

Hmm... I'll look at venting them then.

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

What engine have you? I have two leisure battery's in the two corners of the engine bay of my 1.9dg new carbs. Above the wheel arches with solar panels. Works a treat. Starter under drivers seat. Good solar with the two batters perfect. Better storage space under bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk