Propex vs leisure battery voltage

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Propex vs leisure battery voltage

Post by a1winchester »

We were camping over Christmas and it was mild at first. We only used some lights off the leisure battery, but didn‘t drive anywhere for a couple of days to recharge.
When the temperature dropped, I fired up the Propex, which ran for a minute or so, then stopped and wouldn't restart. I was about to give up, but had a brainwave - turn off the leisure lights. That did the trick, and the increased voltage was enough for the Propex to run.
I suspect the leisure battery is due for renewal, and have the original light fittings (no LEDs).
Anyway, I just thought I would post this in case anyone else was having problems getting the Propex going.
I had of course tested the Propex before setting out, and it was fine. But I checked it in daylight with no lights on.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Propex vs leisure battery voltage

Post by CovKid »

Depends on consumption of lights. I use battery-powered lights now and leave leisure exclusuvely for Propex. Better to be warm and in the dark than have a light and be freezing cold. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Totally agree. My battery lights (leds) are more than adequate.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

We do exactly the same,one cree pen light,has approx 7cree bulb's uses 2aaa batteries and lasts very well and our tiny 75ah leasure battery is for the Propex and sink pump, charging during the day via 80 watt solar panel.
By the way HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. :ok
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The Propex, as with other makes of night heater, has built in under-volt protection. probably in the high 11 volt area. The heater itself has a 'high' initial start draw which drops down after start, however, this initial draw can drop the battery voltage under that protection threshold, as you have experienced.
A second battery would definitely help, wired in parallel to double your leisure battery capacity.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV