Additional gauges for Subaru ej20

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Additional gauges for Subaru ej20

Post by Dazco »

Has anyone fitted any additional gauges for their Subaru installation, i.e. Oil pressure , water temp etc .
If so, what did you use and where did you mount the sensors etc. Thanks Daz
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Re: Additional gauges for Subaru ej20

Post by Domino »

Dazco wrote:Has anyone fitted any additional gauges for their Subaru installation, i.e. Oil pressure , water temp etc .
If so, what did you use and where did you mount the sensors etc. Thanks Daz

Oil temp should go , above piston number 3 (think it's 3 as I always get them mixed up ) piston closest to where the turbo would be , passengers side rear of the engine by bell housing ,, there is a bung in the block that you remove and put the sensor in but it needs a adapter,, number three is normally the one that melts first ,,,, , water temp should go in the water cross over pipe (now facing the rear ) I tapped another hole into it for the temp sensor but you could put a adapter between the pipe and hose ,,,, oil pressure normally goes at the front of the engine under/behind the alternator , this is where the standard oil sensor is , normally get a adapter to allow for the new sensor

Advanced automotive in Bristol will sell all the adapters needed ,, I only use defi gauges in my other subarus as there tried and tested and work great ,, others tend to fail very easy ,,, but there not cheap @ around £500 for a st of theee , but there are no other gauges that compare as they do more than just read the sensors and I could go on forever with there functions but a lot of them wouldn't be of use in a camper really ,,, R-spec do ok gauges for a fair price but like a lot of things you get what you pay for

Having the obd2 helps me loads as I use my wifi adapter and phone as my gauges , this also allows me a rev counter and a few other useful bits ,, I've checked them against normal gauges and they are quite accurate ,, but just as a back up ive put a cheaply coolant temp sensor in as well as phone battery's have a habit of giving up when you need them most and it's always best to try thinking ahead lol

Dazco

Post by Dazco »

Thanks for that matey,I'll be having a look this afternoon .
:ok :ok

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

whs about the sender positions, I used Audi VDO oil p gauge and AUDI/VW sender with a flexible T and retained the Subaru sender too, the oil temp set up we've tried doesn't seem to read high enough or maybe the engine is running that cool, I do have a slightly different water pipe set up to rjes stock system as used the turbo water pump with three inlets, one of which Is used for the bypass, one for the heater and the interwarmercooler inlet on the pump capped

Dazco

Post by Dazco »

Cheers for that guys , been looking for affordable gauges and found these
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/s ... s-fittings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We had some Durite ones fitted on the boat some years ago and were good quality. As another bonus they don't break the bank and come with senders etc .
Oil pres and water temp will be ordered :ok