T25 Subaru turbo = project begins

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Re: T25 Subaru turbo = project begins

Post by Domino »

Still slowly moving along

Hydrolic clutch is now fitted both ends and connected up so just needs bleeding along with the brakes

Have removed the petrol tank to allow for clutch line and all the water system plumbing pipes to be ran under the van and now have a brand new tank to go back in its place
Throttle cable (rjes) is now fitted and working great

Next big job is fitting all the water cooling system , have already cut a hole in the front of the van ready for the rad so just the fitting side to do now so shouldn't be to hard
Loom is due back towards the end of August so will have most of it done by then I would of thought
:ok

Domino

Post by Domino »

coolant system has now been fitted , just needs connecting up at the engine end

Iv also made a temp exhaust , as its a turbo this was very easy as iv just used a strait pipe for now , won't be very quite but that won't bother me ,, I may do somthing a bit nicer and use a silencer later on down the line but for now that's another job done

Sorry there isn't any pics at the mo but I'll try and get out with my phone and take some soon , I don't work with a phone on me as I tend to either drop them or sit on them and break them lol

Had a update for rjes and my loom has jumped the cue so should be with me early next week :ok

Domino

Post by Domino »

Quick update for anyone interested ,, I now have the loom back from rjes , rich has done a great job with it and I'm really glad I used him for the work ,, loom is mostly fitted in place (under rear seat as normal , one problem iv now ran into ,,the rjes reverse coolant crossover is for a NA engine and as iv gone for a turbo the pipework that runs across the top is slightly different , this could be modded to fit but iv got a turbo one that will fit , I just need to add a T for the coolant tank

Nearly on the home strait now and it's all starting to come together ,, once it fires up I'll go back over everything and make it tidy and start making it a bit bling under there as iv built a few Subaru "show" engine bays

Still not really much to see in the way of pics sorry but I'll try and get some when I can but if anyone wants any specific pic just let me know :ok

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Come on we need pictures
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Domino

Post by Domino »

Dazco wrote:Come on we need pictures

I'll put a couple up but have to remember I'm no where near the finished product yet :D

Domino

Post by Domino »

Exhaust made up so it will run ok , will make a better one later

Front end cut away , will need new font panel at some point so wasn't to worried what it looks like for now , grill mesh to be fitted

Loom fitted under rear seat , not mounted properly yet

Will do some more tidying once iv got everything fitted

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Looking good :ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

You are really flying along - I haven't forgot about popping round to take a look, I just need to work something around my tight timescales at the moment..!!

Deffo text when I know I can make it over your way - eager to see a scooby conversion outside of forums..!!
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Domino

Post by Domino »

Smiffo wrote:You are really flying along - I haven't forgot about popping round to take a look, I just need to work something around my tight timescales at the moment..!!

Deffo text when I know I can make it over your way - eager to see a scooby conversion outside of forums..!!

No problem , just let me know when your ready , got loads of scoobys and Scooby bits fro you to look at :ok

Tonkatoy
80-90 Mem No: 15228

Post by Tonkatoy »

Well done, I am inspired now to get my sinka scuba powered

Domino

Post by Domino »

Still a long way to go yet before I'm finished with the engine bay , once it's all in and running ok it's getting pulled back out and I'll be building one with a similar look to my last engine , will do somthing different on the cam covers this time but not sure what yet :twisted:

Domino

Post by Domino »

Just thought I'd try and add up some of what iv spent so far to give others a idea of what it can be done for , some prices might be slightly out as I'm doing it from memory lol

Some parts iv had to buy I will leave out as most vans come with them like the clutch system as iv had to swap it all to hydrolic as mine was cable but this only added up to around £100

So far
Rjes bell housing and Gearbox spline = £500 ,second hand
Rjes engine mount bar = £165
Rjes gearbox mount kit =£50
Rjes throttle cable = £40
Rjes reversed coolant crossover = £50
Rjes coolant fitting kit = £95
Rjes VSS = £45
Front to rear coolant pipes and rad = £100 second hand
Turbo engine = £150 = car purchased for 350 and manual gearbox sold for 200
Rjes loom conversion = £400
Shortened Subaru sump =£250 (waiting to be made)
Exhaust is a turbo flange and strait pipe = £50
Fuel pump and filter = £50
New injection petrol tank = £90
New fuel hose = £20

Still a few things to buy to get it finished so I will add things as I go and do a full total at the end , if there is a end lol

Prob a few things iv forgotten to add on as the always is like fixings and the shiny bits that seem to get added as you go but so far it works out to just over £2055 , this could of been cut down by quite a bit by buying the right van to start with but as I didn't know the VW very well I just went for what I thought would be OK , but I'm still very happy with my van and plan to keep it for the foreseeable future :ok

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

2k to get installed is good going! What would it climb to if you fully rebuilt the turbo engine?

Domino

Post by Domino »

silverbullet wrote:2k to get installed is good going! What would it climb to if you fully rebuilt the turbo engine?

Depends on what spec I want from the engine really as it will be getting a rebuild at some point ,, just sold a ej20 with WRC omega forged Pistons , new ACL bearings , V9 rods and modified oil pump for £700 for my mate that's builds them so I'll prob just wait till somthing similar comes up again and have that from him but it will be a bit overkill for what I'm after , well at least till iv got a stronger box sorted :D

Domino

Post by Domino »

Water cross over pipe now fitted , while the inlet was off I done a quick refurb job with some Sti red paint

As the reverse water manifold is from a NA Subaru it's a bit taller than the turbo version so I needed to re route the water return for the turbo and loosen the injector pipes to allow the inlet to go back on , wiring loom is also in the way but this can be moved by removing some of the cable ties