I want to smash the gear linkage on my t25!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

I want to smash the gear linkage on my t25!

Post by mshaw1980 »

So I have renewed all things in my linkage other than the selector cup. The onion feels quite a tight fit in the cup and the shift rod no longer falls down when you unbolt the mounting plate off the gearbox so I thought this would be OK to reuse. I have used the Haynes manual method to set up the gears. I found I could find gears but 1st felt a bit stiff, 2nd (knuckles very close to the dash) 3rd, 4th and 5th felt OK but it was difficult to tell if you had come out of gear into neutral as there doesn't feel like there is any Spring pressure pushing the stick back into neutral. Is this normal? I'm very frustrated as I was expecting a much better shift after reading the wiki but if I am honest it still feels rubbish. Before I spend yet more money will the selector cup and possibly a short shifter make a big difference. Please help. I have had the van for nearly a year on axle stands doing a Subaru conversion when I have an hour here and there and it is this irritating thing that is making me reluctant to take it on its maiden voyage :cry:
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: I want to smash the gear linkage on my t25!

Post by boatbuilder »

Just putting my 5 speed back together after a big refurb. The biggest play in mine was definitely between the onion and the cup. I fitted an oversized onion from brickwerks that makes it fit more snugly. The cup is aluminium so it corrodes away on the inside causing the loose fit.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

there is very little spring force inside the box just the synchroniser springs assisting the box into neutral (like 'you want to come out of this gear, ok we'll help you so you do it swiftly and don't catch the dog teeth, there ' - it's quick and subtle)
the big spring on the 5 speed box only pushes the ball from 1st reverse plane to the 2nd 3rd plane only, you have to move the stick yourself to 4th 5th plane, hence the 5 speed feels like stirring porridge sometimes
to set the length of the shift (so you don't hit the radio) loosen the pinch bolt in th emiddle and adjust the length so that the two nylon guides are slap bang between the two aluminium blocks when in neutral
push the ball till it meets the spring pressure (ie is vertical in both planes, ie neutral in the 2nd 3rd plane) and set the stick so that the two nylon guides on the bottom of the stick straddle the line of the two aluminium blocks
then lock off the central pinch bolt
simples

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Thank you again. Now I know about the lack of spring force going in to neutral I must have been about right but decided to try and get it better but made it worse.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)