Door card clip fitting

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sleedale
80-90 Mem No: 11478

Door card clip fitting

Post by Sleedale »

Bought these to replace the sliding door card. The old one was screwed to the door, so the new card will be covered and fitted using clips...... :oops: only I have no idea how these clips actually fix to the card? I thought it would be a simple push through hole, cover card, fix card to door.

But it's obviously not my weekend for straightforward

Someone kindly suggested that these fix in the hole and the top bit pushes down to widen the pointy bit, except that the top bit doesn't seem to want to push anywhere?

Another wish I'd never bothered starting jobs....... :cry:g

E D I T.....it's okay peeps. They sort of screw in. The top is notched and that bit 'screws' through the card. Done one :ok but oh my goodness, it ain't easy :roll:
Sue
1985 1.9 DG petrol, 4 speed, wasserboxer, Cavalier Coachman Classic

scunnerd25
80-90 Mem No: 17639

Re: Door card clip fitting

Post by scunnerd25 »

The one's I have seen before sit into a slot on the door card

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

You need to drill a hole and twist the top of the clip in, not sure of the size.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

Sleedale

Post by Sleedale »

got the clips in by using a screwdriver to twist them, broke several :shock:
carefully covered the card with lovely megavan mats covering, looks lovely :D
took the nicely covered card to the van this evening...........the clips don't reach and when pushed or thumped, simply break :cry:
so now i have to peel back my carefully applied covering, remove the rubbish clips, stick it all back together, await the new clips that go right through all of it and try again :?
all in all a pita

not quite ready to sell the van, but with all the body work etc etc etc, getting quite close...........never had these problems with the tent :run
Sue

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Sounds like the material thickness on the back of the cards is too much, there is a technique in fitting the clips for sure, you need strong fingers but not a screwdriver. There should be plenty of play with the clip in the door card hole. Are the holes pre drilled. These clips are really good and quite strong unless they get bent then its time to replace them.
Last edited by multisi on 13 May 2016, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Sleedale

Post by Sleedale »

multisi wrote:Sounds like the material thickness on the back of the cards is too much, there is a technique in fitting the clips for sure, you need strong fingers but not a screwdriver.Are you using the original door cards.

JK replacement card for sliding door. Material is quite thick and no way could I fit the clips without the screwdriver.

Just a pita all in all.
Sue

multisi

Post by multisi »

The whole card with material on must fit in the shallow recess of the door ,how thick is the material compared to vinyl. The original vw vinyl on the card is very thin and the foam between thin also so it doesnt increase the overall size of the door trim very much. If you are going to put a thick material on ,then the size of the card may need to be reduced. Best to offer the bare card up without clips and see what gap there is all around, and note the card with material on has to fit down in the recess, not rise up the sides of it, if it does its too big.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

RobH
80-90 Mem No: 8671

Post by RobH »

I had the same issues with those clips and carpeted panels on my sliding doors, I've switched to the fir tree type clips for t4s and t5s from Megavanmats and the cards are sitting better.
'89 Home brew camper, 1.9 petrol twin-slider tin-top

Sleedale

Post by Sleedale »

I patiently removed the broken clips and replaced them. I trimmed the lovely covering. I was careful, very careful and still another two clips broke and the card didn't fit.
I had bought some fir tree type clips, but they were too thin, so I gave them to my lovely garage man.
So today I spoke to a lovely lady at megavanmats, checked sizes as best we could and have ordered some push fit trim clips which are plenty long enough, just hope they are the right diameter and I still have covering left on the card after digging out the useless, brittle, short clips.
It really shouldn't be this blummin complicated

When they arrive, if they fit, if they work, I'll photo and post on here, maybe will save someone else three sets and ruining coverings on new cards?
Sue

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

This is what you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-LONGER-Tri ... SwdpxUW5cw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

Sleedale

Post by Sleedale »

Winchweight wrote:This is what you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-LONGER-Tri ... SwdpxUW5cw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hooray, bought 25 light grey very similar from megavanmats so here's hoping I can manage to fit the door card.

Thanks for all you help and comments people. I had covered the original card which was screwed to the door. Did it in matching vinyl with the seats and front doors, but couldn't manage to screw it down properly so it kept catching. Thought I would do it properly.....hope it works this time :ok
Sue

multisi

Post by multisi »

There is a small screw to hold the card in place , just below the rear catch. There are no clips in this area and the card needs to be firmly attached to the door . Its a shame you couldnt get on with the original style clips,the idea of them is so you dont see the way the trim is attached, clean lines . The clips should have a hole big enough so they can move around when fitting to the door, so whatever way you cover the card those type of clips must not be glued to the material.

Sleedale

Post by Sleedale »

multisi wrote:There is a small screw to hold the card in place , just below the rear catch. There are no clips in this area and the card needs to be firmly attached to the door . Its a shame you couldnt get on with the original style clips,the idea of them is so you dont see the way the trim is attached, clean lines . The clips should have a hole big enough so they can move around when fitting to the door, so whatever way you cover the card those type of clips must not be glued to the material.

Thank you, did wonder about fixing near the rear catch. The original type clips were the idea, hidden, and they didn't glue down, but the card isn't quite a perfect fit and I hav covered it with a megavanmats velour lining. It matches the colours, is nice and fits well. Looks nice enough but I still want to use clips and not screw the blummin thing to the door again. Mainly because trying to fasten a screw into the bottom rear corner means taking the door off. So I'm hoping the latest batch of clips, even fixed from outside the covering, won't look too bad, will work and hold the card in place tight enough not to catch when the door is slid open.

Keep your fingers crossed for me......
Sue

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Post by Winchweight »

The MVM ones have a pin in the centre that you pull out. You then insert the body of the clip through the fabric and the card into the corresponding hole in the door frame. Replace the clip and a light tap with a mallet and its secure. I used these on all my interior panels, they look good and hold securely.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

RobH
80-90 Mem No: 8671

Post by RobH »

MVM do different types I used these, http://www.megavanmats.com/apps/webstor ... w/1875458#
No holes seen, all hidden behind the carpet.
'89 Home brew camper, 1.9 petrol twin-slider tin-top